Computer or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using my Suunto Cobra from the start. I like the conservative mode, the ease of use and the data available from each dive. I am also a self-confessed www recreational diver. Should I go the Tech route, I would put more trust in knowledge of dive tables, a simple spg and watch.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

They are not "Nessesary" at all. You can dive and have a great and safe time with nothing but a watch , a depth gauge, a set of tables and Planning.
I'd say Most divers use them, And, as long as you understand that dive computers have limitations and an idea of what those limitations are, they are a great tool and can make your diving more enjoyable.

I'm happy using a Suunto Vyper for my recreational dives, especially when I'm doing a dive along a landscape that has me at various depths through the dive. Works great in that scenario and when diving a single gas, and ensures I can maximize my bottom time. For anything else, I use a bottom timer and tables.

Never forget...

All tables, whether published by PADI, the US Navy, or if it is customized by a dive computer...

All tables contain only theoretical gas loads. You can dive well within the limits of any table or computer and still get bent. Whether you use tables or a computer, never stop using the computer between your ears.

Back
Top Bottom