• Don't have a computer, wish I did

Votes: 32 12.6%
  • Have a computer

Votes: 176 69.6%
  • Have a computer, but don't need it

Votes: 31 12.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've never used one. My buddy that is just getting certified is getting a real nice computer. I was just wondering how many of you use them, and how necessary you think they are.

I use a very basic dive computer and like it alot, I will use it till I buy something better which I will do this season. :14:

I use two computers.
1) Oceanic Versa Pro
2) Citizen Hyper Aqualand Pro Diver

Love the Oceanic for dive planning and saturation (especially Nitrox diving)
Love the Citizen for downloading to the home PC. It graphs the dive, records all the info and will even allow an html page to be created for Internet posting (haven't done the actual post yet)

When I started diving the closest thing to a computer was a small Techna bottom timer that fit into a console (where the small compass used to be). No one ever heard of dive computers, nitrox.... paved roads.... inside plumbing....lol

How necessary depends some on the type of diving you are doing. When I was doing a couple shore dives on the weekend in New England, it really wouldn't make much difference to me. For doing 4-5 long multilevel dives per day on a trip I consider it enough of a necessity that I carry a backup computer as well.

A dive computer should really be the first piece of gear a new diver should purchase.

In my somewhat humble opinion, any dive in excess of 60 ft, doing more than 2 dives per day, a nitrox dive, or going on a multi-day dive trip warrants a computer.

Normally, I use one. If I go on a multi day trip I toss my old puck- style Oceanic in my pocket as a spare should my more conservative main fail.

If you're going to get into diving with any sort of seriousness, purchase one. It make dive planning simple and increases your safety.

Cheers,

Divebutt

divebutt:
A dive computer should really be the first piece of gear a new diver should purchase.

In my somewhat humble opinion, any dive in excess of 60 ft, doing more than 2 dives per day, a nitrox dive, or going on a multi-day dive trip warrants a computer.

Normally, I use one. If I go on a multi day trip I toss my old puck- style Oceanic in my pocket as a spare should my more conservative main fail.

If you're going to get into diving with any sort of seriousness, purchase one. It make dive planning simple and increases your safety.

Cheers,

Divebutt

Why do you say this?

~ Jason

Every diver should have a digital gauge. But its fairly easy to do multi-dive trips, nitrox, and deep diving without a computer.

I have a vyper - its been in gauge mode for over a year (150+ dives)

well, i have to use SOMETHING while diving, and my choices are:

1. the tables; or

2. a computer

since the computer is so much easier and efficient to use, i use a computer

there are other options, such as depth-averaging and time deep=time shallow
methods, but i haven't gotten around to exploring them yet

As inexpensive and useful as they are, I consider them a somewhat mandatory piece of gear. Not because you NEED them to dive, but without them, everything is much more of a PITA. It's great to be able to glance at your wrist and see depth, NDL time, nitrogen saturation, PPO2, etc, etc...

Fair enough.

I've never used a computer in the past 18 years of diving, and haven't found a need to get one. I picked up a Mosquito for my wife a while back because she thought it was cool, and she no longer uses it. A digital bottom timer seems to work easier for us, and I've never had a problem tracking CNS % and OTUs over the course of a week or more of diving.

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom