D6 v. Nemo v. Xtender

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USC8791

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there are countless posts comparing different computers, but I've narrowed down my search to three and would like everyone's advice/comments. I originally decided to go with the mosquito, but am looking elsewhere now. I will be diving no-deco nitrox and air in depths ranging from the shallows up to 130 ft. I want a true watch type wrist computer so I can wear it while traveling. Most all my dives will be on multiple dive day trips. I've narrowed it down to:

Suunto D6
Mares Nemo
Scubapro Xtender

Any/all comments are appreciated. Also any other brand/model recommendations.

Thanks!

Just got the D6 and it is pretty nifty. That said, I am a new diver and haven't tried either of the other two. I really like that it has a compass though.

I have been diving Suunto's Cobra and took a look at the D6 so I could switch gasses and I thought having the compass included would be one less thing on my wrist.

I found the user interface less than intuitive. Part of this was because the interface on the Cobra is very intuitive. My only problem is remembering where something is within the menus. But once I do it is not a problem.

Perhaps to give you an idea of how difficult I found it - I had to read the instructions as did the guy at the dive store. With the Cobra I used the quick card to get started or to refresh my mind where things are.

Once I started to get used to the interface it was okay. Then I tried to use the compass. The first time I tried to calibrate it, it did not go. I finally got it calibrated and that seemed to work okay. The last problem is that it switches back to dive mode too quickly for my tastes and you can not control the time interval. So if you are on a heading that lasts more than a minute you have to switch it back. So the compass is really not functional IMHO. This was a big turn off to me.

Also I found that pressing the buttons from the side to be more difficult than if they were on top. I think it will be even more difficult with gloves. YMMV

As such, I was not impressed enough to switch over to a diving watch. Instead I got a Vytec DS as the interface is like the Cobra.

I can not say anything about the others but I tend to boycott ScubaPro as I do not like the parent company - but that has nothing to do with their product quality/functionality and at least with Mares getting parts for their regs is a PITA. Two of my local shops, though dealers do not carry their products in house.

I love my nemo....just watch out for the crystal...just sent it in for replacement when I was working on a 4 wheeler and banged it hard against the side rail...broke into pieces...otherwise, big buttons easy to operate gloved....easy to operate...after I bought mine in stainless, I wish I had seen the black nemo first.

I haven't tried either of the other two, but I've got around 50 dives in on my Nemo and I'm really happy with it. Easy to operate and read under water, menu is pretty intuitive and I found it was the best looking 'watch' for surface wear.

The Nemo does everything I need - air and Nitrox up to 50%. My only complaint is that the mineral crystal glass scratches pretty easy - I dinged it pretty good on a ladder my first trip to Cozumel. So if you go Nemo, make sure you buy the screen guard with it.

The Black Nemo and the D6 weren't out when I bought mine, but I would have looked hard at the D6 - it looks like it does everything Nemo does with compass. I also seem to remember that the D9 comes with a USB computer interface and software, whereas Mares makes you buy it seperately (and last I looked Mares interface only had a serial port so you had to buy a USB adapter seperately). Does the D6 come with the interface too?

Mares still uses a serial port but due to everyone else using USB, I had an open one on the back of the old Dell. I am sure the new crystal on my Nemo will be cheap...NOT! What's so sickening is I've only had it a month and have an advanced open water class in Daytona in 2 weeks. Guess no nemo this time either.

If you bashed the crystal and want a black one just ask. The Crystal cant be removed from the housing of the computer. They are just going to drop the module out and whack it into another housing so you could ask for Stainless, Titanium or Black.

Would also suggest you purchse the rubber face protector.

Cheers
Chris

Yes, I am trying to decide between the Nemo, Vytec w/ transmitter, and Cobra. Each has its advantages. Vytec w/ transmitter makes you hoseless, but most suggest you have a backup if you go this route, so why do it in the first place then? For the Cobra all you need to look at is one thing. Nemo, you can glance at your wrist for all information but tank pressure. I think I am leaning towards the Nemo.

I just bought the D6 and I have nothing but good things to say about it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom