Surfing / Diving Wetsuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onsse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Looking into purchasing a 3mm wetsuit. Is there a difference between surfing wetsuits and diving wetsuit in this thickness?? I do mostly warm water dives.

Billabong and Ripcurl was some nice design patterns than Bare or Excel - or are they the same??

Thanks
~onsse

Surf suits typically are cut with more flexibility in the shoulder so surfers can paddle out. But a 3mm suit is not very restrictive in any case.

A lot of people call any thin wetsuit a "surfer suit" because for a given water temp surfers need much thinner suits than divers. So if it's called a surfer suit it may not be different at all

Most surfers up here where a 5mm 1 piece suit. Diver usually wear a 2 piece 7mm suit. In Hawaii I use a 3mm shorty for both, it just depends on the water temp.

I use an ALEEDA 3mm / 2mm surf suit and have had the best of both worlds...ALEEDA wetsuits are the only suits I know of that have a detachable sleeve, for thos really warm dives, like in the Carribean.....Steve ( owner) was great in assisting me in a new suit this year, as my old one of ..get this ..12 years was starting to fail me...they have a lifetime warranty on manufacturing, and free repairs on stiching and glues, IF it ever fails..my finally did after 11 yrs....and I use the suit for both surfing and diving...over 200+ dives on that suit alone, not counting regular surfing use when I lived in San Diego...the design is a little different than a typ dive suit , in as the side pannels and sleeve attachments allow for greater upper body use, which I find more comfortable, upper body size, and Aleeda has suit to fit most body shapes,....very reasonable in price...I could not be happier...they are on the net www.aleeda.com.
if you call Hunnington Beach, and talk to them direct, ask for Steve, he is usually there in the evenings, Good Luck...see ya` under,

Back
Top Bottom