Trying to figure out my new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJTY

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally picked up my first computer yesterday. I feel so intimidated. This seems so complicated. I bought a Suunto Cobra. Im not really sure what I am asking here, I guess I am just frusrated because I feel dumb.

Reading the book and trying to do it your self is not the way to do it. It is relay easy but you need someone that has one to show you how. Thin snap you well have it. I had the nitrox teacher so me and it was dun. No trouble

I'm not familiar with the Suunto, but I agree with Skeeter... just reading the manual isn't the way to learn to use a computer. Rather, consider the manual to be a necessary reference as you use it.

Unless your computer has some kind of simulation feature, the only way to really see what it actually does once it's underwater is... to take it underwater, deep enough so that it activates.

If you have access to a pool with your equipment, that will work very well -- a normal pool should be deep enough to activate your computer.

Otherwise, plan (by the tables) your first easy dive... then watch carefully what your computer does during the dive. Compare with the tables. Then refer back to the manual. Iterate.

--Marek

I just bought the same computer. The manual is hard to understand at first. After diving with it, I like it better. I still don't undestand all the advanced functions, but the basics are fairly easy. Don't let it intimidate you, just spend some quality time with it and the manual, take it on a simple dive or two, so you actually have some dives to look up on the log, and you'll get it. Just make sure you're inside the NDL's , dive with someone more experienced than yourself, and be safe. The computer won't keep you safe if you don't know how to use it, right? But it'll be easier to understand after you actually have used it....I hope that makes some sense, I'm too tired to be writting junk on the 'net right now.....

I'm not sure about the Cobra but my Vyper has simulation mode. Plan a dive using your tables: write down a profile - so long at depth a, so long at depth b etc. Input the dive into the simulator and see what the computer tells you at different stages. You can purposly do things like a too fast ascent - or even a little deco obligation just to see what happens on the screen and where the warnings are etc.

As a Suunto user, I agree that the manuals aren't ideal. I basically played with my forst one until I had everything figured out... then the manual was much clearer! :wink:

If you have any specific questions or problems, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you how to deal with it. Don't worry, you have a good computer and you WILL get it figured out! Believe it or not, I've dealt with some student's computers that are much harder to figure out.

MrConclusion:
As a Suunto user, I agree that the manuals aren't ideal. I basically played with my forst one until I had everything figured out... then the manual was much clearer! :wink:

If you have any specific questions or problems, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you how to deal with it. Don't worry, you have a good computer and you WILL get it figured out! Believe it or not, I've dealt with some student's computers that are much harder to figure out.
yep. You are right. I have been using the dive sim, and using it in the pool. Now I go back to the manual and things start to make sense. Thanks for everyones help. I am not so frustrated now.

I used a friend's Cobra for several dives before I bought my Nitek Duo. I thought it was a very nice interface and was easy to understand once wet. After my first dive I then took my questions to the manual. I did read the manual before the dive, not try to learn how to use it but more to see what to expect. BTW I bought the Nitek because I wanted a wrist mount and my LDS does not carry suunto. Nice computer though. Good luck.

Sometimes using the Cobra is like a dance step with pushing unusual combos to turn different features on and off (i.e. nitrox). Carry the cheat sheet (laminated) with you and watch how others do it.

Just like alot of things in scuba; practice, practice, practice.

I am surprised that he has not chimed in on this yet, but you can get online training on your particular computer. The simulation mode of most dive computers is often more confusing than reading the manual. Manuals will help to explain how to change or do what you want but rarely have a "I just want to freaking dive and try not to get bent" setting or section.

I have NOT used the product, but for a few dollars, they let you truly simulate a dive and let you push all the buttons to see how it will react underwater.
Here is a video showing who the program looks for your computer. Dive Computer Training
I think this will help you a lot for less than the cost of a pool trip.

I believe he is the owner of the site is very active here on scuba board. His posts seem nice and reasonable.

Jimmy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom