Oceanic VT3 worth the $200 more than VT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like the main difference is the VT3 allows you to check three other transmitters for air pressure. I really do not need that. So with the VT running $699 and the VT3 most likely costing $899, would there be anything on VT3 worth the premium other than the multiple transmitters?

I am a new diver, but I plan on doing NITROX. No plans on doing tech diving.

khacken:
Looks like the main difference is the VT3 allows you to check three other transmitters for air pressure. I really do not need that. So with the VT running $699 and the VT3 most likely costing $899, would there be anything on VT3 worth the premium other than the multiple transmitters?

If the transmitter is improved over the VTPro it's worth the $200.

Is the transmitter on the VT Pro a problem?

No.

There is also buddy check and free dive on the VT3 that isn't on the VT Pro.

The price of the VT Pro was lowered because the VT3 is coming soon (it is being test dove now in a variety of places). Because of this if a person feels that VT Pro may fit the bill there has never been a better time to get into a wireless computer at such a low price.

Best,

Chris

No problems at all with the transmitter in my experience with the VT Pro. I purchased the VT Pro last year (at the reduced price) instead of waiting for the VT3 for the reasons stated in your first post. I'm very happy with the VT Pro, and have no complaints.

khacken:

I'm in the same boat as you; trying to decide which computer to get and debating between the VT Pro and the new VT3.
Both of the manuals for the VT Pro and VT3 are up at the Oceanic website, which is useful for comparision.
Besides the Buddy Check, which to me is just a nice feature, the VT3 looks to have a programmable conservation factor which AFAIK the VT Pro doesn't. I haven't figured out yet if it's worth it though.

I'm actually stuck between getting the VT Pro, VT3, Vytec DS, or waiting to see what's up with the Zeagle Cobalt.

Steve

Actually, Larry at ScubaToys showed me how to make the VT Pro more conservative. You can program the alarms to go off earlier. So instead of the alarm going off when the bar is at red, you can make it go off in the yellow, or even green. Don't know if this is what you want, but it appears to work for me.

One issue I can think of is the VT3 allows you to switch gas mixtures on the fly. Do the VT pro allow you to do one dive on nitrox, then the next one on air?

Oh, and on the Vytec, it is more conservative. It seems more geared towards cold water and tech diving. Since I am doing warm rec, I am not getting the Vytec.

Khacken,

You can do a nitrox dive on the VT Pro, but to do an "air" dive on a subsequent dive, you must remain in the nitrox mode and set the percentage of O2 to 21%.

the K

cerich:
No.

There is also buddy check and free dive on the VT3 that isn't on the VT Pro.

The price of the VT Pro was lowered because the VT3 is coming soon (it is being test dove now in a variety of places). Because of this if a person feels that VT Pro may fit the bill there has never been a better time to get into a wireless computer at such a low price.

Best,

Chris

Chris: Because of your emphatic "NO" I'll elaborate.

I returned 3 different VTPro's because of sync problems and finally switched to a ProPlusII. The VTPro will loose sync from time-to-time and if around metal; i.e., a wreck, it will loose sync more frequently.

I can't say this happens in each and every case but I also know I'm not the only one. The problem is not unique to Oceanic either. All manufacturers offering a transmitter option seem to have the same issues. Some people don't see the sync loss thing as any big deal. Perhaps its' not but I never knew how long it had been without connection and that bothered me. No metal... 1 to 3 times a dive - with metal... 3 to 5 times a dive.

On the positive side... I have close to $2,000 invested in 3 Oceanic computers and with all Oceanic equipment my investment is over $2,500. So obviously I like your computers, your equipment and your company. Great service too.

Is there a sync issue with the transmitter/receiver of the VTPro: "YES"

It would be nice to know that Oceanic made transmitter/receiver related improvements in the VT3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom