NOW I am angry about the Sewage Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, the official word is 48,000 million gallons.

I have been not comfortable being too critical about the pipe into the canal, because I was not aware of what else they could have done. Today someone who knows explained to me what he thinks should have happened. It is pretty basic. Run a temporary pipe from the broken section to the next intact functional stretch, like we have had for a year along the kaleaneole highway in Hawaii Kai. Patch the broken section even if it had to be above ground for awhile.

The other thing is he claims they could have had tanker trucks working around the clock taking it to the treatment plant in Sand Island access. Dumping it where they did was a bad decision. Where are our city officials? And where is this huge surplus of cash we are supposedly sitting on? I can understand if it is a budget situation, but they have a lot of our money, and our infrastructure is crumbling. Vote them out.

They usually take the easiest route Catherine. Not surprising. Almost criminal but not surprising.

You know, I am surprised. I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

I am afraid there is no choice but to believe it was done out of slovenly laziness.

maybe it was like a stopped up toilet...nobody wanted to get close to it? This is sad to know it could have been dealt with another way.

I am going to see if we can plan a Reef Check for a survey of the area involved. I think it will be important to measure, and I think we have a baseline of that area just outside the harbor.

I feel so disappointed in them.

If anyone is counting on the city for anything in an emergency, my advice is make your own plan. They really do get an F. And I am afraid to say it, but they deserve the lawsuits. It is the only way they can be held accountable for such negligence....just like the felix decree and the schools.

hmmm...it happened because a pipe, that was known to be damaged for many, many years and had never been repaired, ruptured....to fix it they pumped the sewage directly into the Ala Wai Canal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom