Want to buy a Computer/Watch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucker4scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am in market to buy a dive computer/watch but there is a bit of over kill on information that is being througn at me.

Money is not an object but I want a practical, easy to use, small and compact (that I can use a a watch as well) computer/watch that has no software problems.

I was looking at the Suunto D9 as I was told that this is the "dogs balls" and the best that you can buy at the moment. I was scratching around on the board and came accross some really negative things about the software of Suunto. One diver actually stated "Suunto software sucks!!". Is this true? What should I be looking at? Apperently the new version of software (I think it is 2.3 or someting) is huge and the funtionality is worse than the 1.3 and 1.6 vertions... Can someone help there?

I also noticed that some of the watches logs a dive every time that you go into shallow water - maybe just for a swim in the pool or a dip in the sea. I understand that the D9 works on a FIFO basis and could be a problem when being on Holiday and not near your computer to download your dive history... You just may loose some dives in the process. Any comments?

On the website it also does not tell you how many dives it can store at any time. Can anyone tell me?

I also heard that you can not access the information on the watch it self and need to hook it up to the pc to view your dive history. Is this true? What do you do when you are on holiday in some remote part of the world?

Another LDS told me to look at the Uwatec Xtender - another LDS told me that the software is $#!^ and that you can not read it under water - Screen is not good.

I was also told to look at the Suunto Stinger and the D6...

Anyone knows Cressi sub computers/watches?

Please help... brain overload!!!!

I have a Suunto mosquito for a watch and just got a Vytec to replace it as my downloadable computer. The Vytek is hoseless air integrated like the D9, but not usefull as a watch the way the D9 is. Yeah, the software isn't fabulous, but it works fine once you get the dive downloaded. Records lots of info. Depth, dive time, temp, dive profile, air consumption, personal notes on dive, you can attach photos from the dive, etc. I use the serial/usb interface which I think is what causes the download issue. I think with straight usb it would be fine. The watch stores your entire dive history. You can only read the dive log and profile from the watch for a few days, but you can download pretty much forever. You can turn off the watch for free dives and training dives, or you can tell the software to "ignore dive" if you don't want it in your history. Highly recommended. Wish I could afford the D9!

Thanks Larry. This helps a lot. So what you are basically telling me is that you can store a lifetime of dives on your watch without loosing info? I also saw that someone mentioned that if you turn the dive mode off and on again it takes 24 hours before it is funtional again. So you can access info on the watch itself??? GOOD!!!

What happens when you download - does it save over the old files or can you choose to download certain dives as you choose? I think the D9 is one of the most attractive watches/comps on the market - I am just very scared of the software - When you spend so much money I dont want any $#!^!!!

If the D9 works anything like my Suunto Cobra, it stores 99 dives before the oldest dive is deleted. Essentially, as long as you download once in 99 dives, you will never lose data. The max depth, total number of dives, and total time underwater stays forever unless reset manually.

A lot of people do not care for Suunto's software. As a previous post mentioned, it's not perfect. However, it does organize and display a lot of useful data (SAC rates, for example). Major complaints involve the inability to adjust print formats (for various logbook sizes) and temperature data (only 3 data points in any dive). Personally, I feel the software's advantages outweigh its disadvantages, but I can see how tech-and computer-types might think it clumsy. What do I know? I'm only a lawyer.

Ed

Hey guys - I am getting my D9 on Teusday!!! I can not wait to start playing around with it. I am kind of a gadget freak and I think this one will keep me busy for a while.

Any advice on small things that I need to look out for with the computer?

Congrats on the purchase. I have a D9 and love it. Only thing I would warn you about is the possibility of the buckle breaking if it's too tight on your wrist.

Solution: thread some bungee cord looped thru two holes and loop around your wrist then tie a knot. Cheap and simple and if buckle breaks the watch is hanging by the bungee.

Larry C:
I have a Suunto mosquito for a watch and just got a Vytec to replace it as my downloadable computer. The Vytek is hoseless air integrated like the D9, but not usefull as a watch the way the D9 is. Yeah, the software isn't fabulous, but it works fine once you get the dive downloaded. Records lots of info. Depth, dive time, temp, dive profile, air consumption, personal notes on dive, you can attach photos from the dive, etc. I use the serial/usb interface which I think is what causes the download issue. I think with straight usb it would be fine. The watch stores your entire dive history. You can only read the dive log and profile from the watch for a few days, but you can download pretty much forever. You can turn off the watch for free dives and training dives, or you can tell the software to "ignore dive" if you don't want it in your history. Highly recommended. Wish I could afford the D9!

Do you see it as a need when jumping from mosquito to Vytec, or it just finding the function provided by mosquito gives you a feeling that you are missing some important features, or none of the above? Thanks Larry!

johnny_bravo:
Congrats on the purchase. I have a D9 and love it. Only thing I would warn you about is the possibility of the buckle breaking if it's too tight on your wrist.

Solution: thread some bungee cord looped thru two holes and loop around your wrist then tie a knot. Cheap and simple and if buckle breaks the watch is hanging by the bungee.

How does D9 compares to your previous, Johnny?

Yeah i have a mosquito as well and i love it. Most people who havent seen it before are surprised it is a dive computer becuase it is so small. It is inexpensive but i would reccomend the d9 if you have a larger budget. I have no problem with the software, infact it is so easy to use my mother can use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom