Opinions need for analog console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking for a small and cheap analog gauge console (pressure and depth) to be used only as a back up for an Aeris Elite. I had the Elite fail on me one time and thankfully, it was just at a pool while taking a class. I figure if I had a back up, I could just switch out the transmitter on the first stage with the console and not worry about missing a dive. I would like something small but not so small that it would be difficult to see. Also something luminescent so it can bee seen in low light.

Mike, another option is to use a compact SPG/depth gauge in concert with your computer.

Put it in the other H/P port and tuck it in along the side of your B/C with a couple of bolt snaps to keep it trimmed in.

It gives complete redundancy, if coupled with a dive watch.

***IF YOU PLAN YOUR DIVE AND HAVE NOT EXCEEDED YOUR NDL***

if your computer goes belly up, you can simply revert to your dive as planned and continue the dive.

the K

2 Options you can go with:

1) A digitial depth/bottom timer and a spg-only console.
or
2) A digital watch and a depth & spg console.

My setup is with the first option. But I don't use a transmiter so the spg is part of the setup. The "backup" here is only the digital depth/bottom timer for my dive computer. In fact, the dive computer should be the backup for the digital depth/bottom timer with a dive plan. Still working on this.

Consoles in smaller sizes are available with all the large manufacturers in the market (Scubapro, Mares, AquaLung, and etc.).

I only have one HP port on my first stage so if my transmitter should fail, I would need to replace it with a hose to the new console. I figure I could do this rather quickly and even while on a boat if necessary. I have looked at several consoles on-line and do not know if the sizes of them are practical. I don’t want to get something so small it is hard to see or on the other hand carry a cinder block around with me. I have been looking at the Tusa SCA 230T. Again, this is only for a back up so I don’t want to spend a lot of money. If the Elite should fail, I can just replace the transmitter with the console and continue with the dive plan. This way I am covered if the transmitter or receiver goes.

Mike3318,

I usa a non-integrated wrist computer, along with a depth/SPG console.

My recommendation, which has proven reliable (200+ dives) & accurate in my experience is the Cressi 2-gauge console. It can be had for as little as $105 at Leisurepro (let's not get into the leisurepro debate, it's just an example)

mike3318:
I only have one HP port on my first stage so if my transmitter should fail, I would need to replace it with a hose to the new console. I figure I could do this rather quickly and even while on a boat if necessary.

If you're REALLY fast, you could do it mid-dive!

ZzzKing, You want to develop a new underwater skill drill for that purpose? It might come in handy!

1- Remove BC
2- Get out your wrench (or is it bungeed around the neck?)
3- Deep Breath
4- Turn off tank valve
5- Switch hoses really really fast! (remember to make the patented PADI "Aaaah" sound!)
6- Turn tank back on, replace BC
7- Deliver CPR to buddy, who has undoubtedly had a heart attack.

Try a google search for this Dacor Supreme Series Compact Pressure Depth it has a option with a compass or without. I have the one with the compass it is a good one hit it with your dive light and it is well lit. It has stood up to 2 years now and still working.

Back
Top Bottom