Tank strap broke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
The "clasp" that holds the tank strap to my BC broke. The heavy plastic that holds the large metal ring cracked in half. And, it's a brand new BC, under 30 days old!

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is it possible to tighten the straps too tight? Thanks.

psinyc once bubbled...
Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is it possible to tighten the straps too tight? Thanks.
Yes is has happened to others before.... it's happened to me and it happened to Detroit Diver when he was here last week.

No... the problem is not in getting the straps too tight... the problem is that plastic is the wrong material for this application. Get SS cam band buckles.

Fifth Dimension carries the Halcyon SS tank strap for $38. It's not cheap, but it will probably outlast your BC.

Check it out here. Scroll down the page about 2/3 of the way to find it. Also, these show up on a fairly regular basis on Ebay.

I ordered two Halcyon tank straps from 5th Dimension last year for my 36lb pioneer wing and they came with a plastic buckle. I assume they had a problem with the plastic one breaking. If so, are they replacing them with SS?

bwollard once bubbled...
I assume they had a problem with the plastic one breaking. If so, are they replacing them with SS?
...and since Halcyon is a good company they stand behind their products and they will replace your broken plastic buckle with a new plastic buckle...

...or for an upgrade fee they will replace it with SS.... I can't remember what the $ amount is but it is better than full price.

Also be aware that the only thing you replace is the buckle itself... you keep and use the strap and the U shaped piece of metal that it attaches to.

5thD is a retailer... for direct service on this item call Halcyon.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Yes is has happened to others before.... it's happened to me and it happened to Detroit Diver when he was here last week.
No... the problem is not in getting the straps too tight... the problem is that plastic is the wrong material for this application. Get SS cam band buckles.
What are y'all doin' to those buckles? Backing over 'em with a pickup? I've seen broken plastic weightbelt buckles, but never a broken camband buckle.
I do carry an extra camband in my save-a-dive kit when I'm leading trips (usually 12-20 divers), but I've never had to use it.
Rick

I have broken a Dive Rite one also. I talked to Lamar and Dell (when he was still there) about this. If you read the owners manual it will tell you to get the straps wet before you crank them down. Dive Rite does replace the buckles even though they could tell you that you didn't follow directions. I carry a spare plastic cam now because of this. At some point I will get the SS buckles.

omar

A couple years ago when ice diving. It was spectacular, exploding into about 10 pieces. It was just before Halcyon came out with their SS buckle, because they first offered to upgrade to SS, then came back and said they weren't ready to ship quite yet.

So I've got another plastic one. Can't imagine why a Florida company doesn't test their stuff out ice diving. :)

Roak

Ps. The result was the classic "duct tape" mounting of an argon bottle :)

Back
Top Bottom