44 & time for a Physical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPaul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now that I'm 44 years old, I am thinking of having a full physical done to make sure that I am healthy enough to continue diving without undue risk of hidden problems such as heart disease, which does run in my family.

Does anyone know if there is a listing of physicians who are familiar with the unique risks associated with diving and medical conditions, who may be worth contacting to get a full physical, heart health assessment, etc.?

Have any of you done the same thing or feel there is any value in seeking someone with such expertise over a general practitioner without it?

Thanks!

If you email DAN they will send you a list of doctors in your area that they have listed as having dive medicine knowledge.

You can get your physical done by your GP, and then, if anything is less than 100%, call DAN for a referral.

Rick Inman:
You can get your physical done by your GP, and then, if anything is less than 100%, call DAN for a referral.

Not everybody has a GP :wink:

It doesn't hurt anything to start with a GP who has taken DAN workshops and has knowledge of diving.

scubamickey:

It doesn't hurt anything to start with a GP who has taken DAN workshops and has knowledge of diving.
No GP...Yeah, I never though of that.

You're right. When I got bent they did a complete workup on me, and it was reassuring to know that I was being assessed by a doctor that had been DAN trained, approved, and was continuing his education in diving medicine.

scubamickey:

Ideally, this is along the lines of what I would be looking for...a Doctor who understands the stresses placed upon the body as a result of diving, and can assess my health with this in mind.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom