Bladder Control...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any way other than a brief head up/vertical tilt to "reequalize" the air distribution in an Explorer 55# wing? I noticed that when turning barrel rolls (don't ask..my instructor made me do them) the air tended to stay on whichever side was last pointing toward the surface. I never noticed this on my Pioneer, but then again, it is a much smaller wing.

Thanks

Oh yeah, did my first dive on an explorer 55#, ss bp, double steel 100s this weekend...really nice!

O-ring once bubbled...
my instructor made me do them) the air tended to stay on whichever side was last pointing toward the surface.
What did your aquabatics instructor say about roll control and precision maneuvers?

Oh... the Pioneer wing? It is donut shaped and the air can roll around the bottom to get to the other side.

What did your aquabatics instructor say about roll control and precision maneuvers?

Not much. He is a good instructor, but this wasn't a class...we were tooling around in the quarry (he is warming up for the Billy Mitchell fleet) and he wanted to test his new wing (he moved from a Dive Rite to a Halcyon) with all his stage bottles. When we got done, we switched rigs for a while so I could try out his doubles...

We tooled around for a bit and, although the harness was way too loose for my liking, I didn't have any problems with trim/buoyancy, etc.). When we came up, he said something about it being all fine and well when there is nothing going on and trim/buoyancy is good, so he suggested we go back down. Then he had me doing rolls, flips, etc. to try to see if I could manage the rig with it flipping all over the place. I didn't get to try a valve drill though... :(

Oh... the Pioneer wing? It is donut shaped and the air can roll around the bottom to get to the other side.

That's what I figured the deal was, but having not had my doubles rig when I took DIRF, I wondered if there was another way to do it. My instructor just made a vertical dip handsignal and that worked really well to get the air back to equal on each side of the wing. That was really the only problem I had with the set and wasn't a problem once he enlightened me on that little trick.

Is there another method for redistributing the air? (Hint: pushing down on one side of the wing with your hand doesn't work :D )

But then I haven't been practicing my barrel rolls like I should.

You mean with all your experience and training you haven't completed the Aquabatics Specialty Course? How do you expect to retire to a cushy job instructing synchronized swimming one day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom