Dive computer air integrated or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reidman

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I know this debate will go on forever but here is my question and take on the matter.
If dive computers do not use air-intake to help calculate your tissue saturation and decompression factors with the Algorithms tables then what good is having an air-integrated computer? Sure it’s nice to have it all in one place but other then to tell you its time to go what good is it? My gauge can do that. Most computers use the same computer for their non-integrated as their integrated so unless there’s a magical switch that flips when you hook it up to an air source it has no clue to how much air you use others then a PSI readout. Most manufactures don’t even report that they use your air usage to calculate tissue saturation. Some mention this but give no details.
Having asked this question at dive shops, with other divers and emailed computer makers I still have no real answer as to wither some computers use this to custom tailor your tissue saturation factors or not.
I have read that air consumption has nothing to do with tissues saturation or decompression; I have read never findings that this is bunk.
A lot of factors come into play, water temp, stress, fatigue, fitness, if you are fat as a cow, if you got dehydrated waiting on the fat guy to suit up while you wasted away in your 7 ml.
Here is some information from Suunto about their computer.
There are certain decompression factors that are far safer performed by the computer
automatically. Like the prediction of micro bubble formation based on the following dive
variables:
• Monitoring continuous multiday diving
• Computing closely spaced repetitive diving
• Accounting for diving deeper than previous dive
• Regulating rapid ascents with high degrees of Doppler bubble formation
Equally there are factors dive computers do not have the information on which to base
a logical calculation. For example it is impossible for a dive computer to calculate body
core temperature without sticking a probe into the diver (which I am sure they would
not appreciate).The computer can tell how cold it is, but cannot tell whether the diver
is wearing a short suit or dry suit- so this evaluation is far better left to the diver.
While a dive computer can predict air consumption, it is the pressure of air that
dictates absorption levels into the blood stream, not the rate at which air is exchanged
in the lungs. While exertion is a factor, breathing rate can be affected by a number of
things so to include this in the decompression algorithm would make no sense. Again this a decision best left to the diver.
In fact some decisions can only be made by the diver themselves. Which is why Suunto
incorporates a unique personal adjustment in all their computers for the diver to
choose based on the following:
• If the diver feels cold • If the diver is below average fitness • If the diver is fatigued
• If the diver is dehydrated • If the diver is under stress • If the diver is overweight
• If the diver has a known history or susceptibility to DCI
The diver can assess these factors and make a logical choice of one of three
personal adjustment levels based on a simple guide in the computer manual to
make their dive computer as conservative as their personal circumstance
indicates.
So basically this says you better watch out for your-self and not rely on the computer to make all the assumptions for you, which is what we have always been doing with charts gauges and the water conditions.
Which brings me back to why pay for air-integration if it doesn’t really do anything for you? Sure you can set the minimum tank pressure for turn around times and such which is nice, but we all can look at the gauges to see the PSI and know its time to go.
So maybe I don’t have a clue to the benefit of air-integration so fill me in. I am probably going to buy one that is anyway because I have money to throw away. But I really wanted a computer that monitored all the factors and use this to keep me safe in despite of my-self.

I like everything in one place, a quick glimpse and I know my status

One thing the Air integrated computers can do is to estimate
your air time remaining, using your current air consumption rate.
Some will display a "time remaining" which is the shortest
based on your current limits of AIR, Nitrogen, or Oxygen.
Some like the air time remaing feature,
others can't stand it.

--- bill

My aladdin air gives both the overall time remaining based on all factors, as bperrybap mentioned, and at the same time gives you an estimate on just your air time remaining based on breathing rate. As others say though, this kind of stuff sometimes leads you to being too lazy as you don't consciously focus on this kind of info as much when the comp does it for you. The aladdin also has an alarm for when you're breathing too fast, which helped me focus on my breathing when I was just starting diving, but isn't quite as useful to me now. If I were going to get another comp though, I'd go for a wrist mounted without air integration. I just don't really think the air integration is worth the price.

Austin

I use an integrated computer and like many of the features mentioned, however, remember if your computer burps you won't know how much air is in your tank---period. There is alot to be said for an unintegrated computer and a simple spg.

Think about it, but not too hard.

I have a mini analog SPG and depth gauge for back-up. I also use 2 computers.

I used I analog SPG and 1 computer 1 depth timer

And I thought I was paranoid. Come on guys, you'll scare the guy into a watch and dive tables with that talk!

but I like the idea of the spg back-up (sounds familiar)

Patented Air Time Remaining Algorithm
You're at 80 feet with 1300 psi remaining in your cylinder - how long before you need to begin an ascent to a shallower depth? Our patented Air Time Remaining feature calculates your current depth, breathing rate, cylinder pressure, ascent time, and decompression status to tell you exactly how much time you can remain underwater.

Dive Time Remaining
Dive Time Remaining, like Air Time Remaining provides a 'real' number in minutes, considering Air Time Remaining, Nitrogen and Oxygen absorption, and automatically displays whichever allows less time.

http://www.diveaeris.com/p_computers_epic_specs.html

Epic is primary...Elite is backup...and a DR SPG is hanging off the waist just in case...:D

reidman:
If dive computers do not use air intake to help calculate your [snip] decompression factors [snip] then what good is having an air-integrated computer?
Having my depth, time, and remaining gas pressure displayed on my wrist makes it easier for me to check them. It also allows me to monitor them while engaged in two-handed tasks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom