Cartersville, GA Quarry opening in 2 weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I spoke to the dive shop in Cartersville (name and link below) and was told that the quarry (actually located in White, GA) will be opening to divers in the next two weeks. He said he didn't know the final date yet but they would post it on their web site as soon as they knew it. Finally, we won’t have to drive to AL, FL, SC or TN to get in a few dives.

Southern Swim & Scuba
236 North Dixie Avenue
Cartersville, GA 30120
Phone: (678) 721-0889
Fax: (678) 721-2327

http://www.divingdelivered.com/index.htm

Here's some more info on that quarry.

Depths will be to around 165 feet. But they will have some ledges or terraces of around 75 feet and maybe 25 feet, which is better for open water students.

It appears to be a pretty large quarry at about 800feet across at it's "widest point".

They are planning on sinking a crane in it and some other stuff. Crane will be neat! Also talk of putting an indoor pool on site for open water training (but I'm betting that it will be a few years down the road for that).

I was told this was being all done by some divers who owned a muffler shop in Cartersville or somewhere near there.

If you want to see what the site looks like and an arial of the quarry, see:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...244,-84.742591&spn=0.004928,0.010933&t=h&om=1

Major "what if" here is those chicken houses. Nothing like being downwind of a chicken house on a hot august day. Hopefully the chicken farmer sells the chicken-crap off as fertilizer so there is no "run off"

-mike

Wow - those chicken houses are close! Hopefully, it won't be too bad...

For those of you who are familiar with the area, the recently graded land (shown on the google photo) is now the new Toyo tire plant in White.

I have been diving this quarry for the last three weeks, there is a large backhoe on the far side in 40' and an upside down car on a steep ledge not far from the machine. Other than that, not much else there yet. At least not that we found yet. It is a rather large body of water, about 10 acres. Max depth we have found 159' with a very silty bottom. Vis ranges from 5'-15' at surface to 50', under that it opens to about 20' to 40'. Ambient light is totally lost at about 110' so the botom is pitch black. Temp at bottom is a warm 46 deg. We are still diving to look for more sites and to lay out the bottom for the owners. If I forgot anything ask and I will try to answer.

Thanks, please keep the info coming to those of us in the southeast.

Quick question guys. I am a 4 year commerical diver out of Florida. Mainly pipe penetrations and wet well inspections. I am DCBC unrestricted diver. I recently moved to Cartersville GA. Are there any dive company's here? Anything, boat cleaning, pentriation inspections... Really want to stay in this carrer field. But can't find any company's.

Extremediver5, I live in Acworth and before that, Woodstock. Been in the area since 1979. I've not heard of any commercial diving ops. There was a time when I saw signs in various places advertising a diver who would do retrievals or clean bottoms of boats, but as a previous boat owner, we always just had it hauled every few years and had it cleaned and painted with anti-fouling paint. Good luck. Welcome to NW Georgia.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2015 at 04:35 PM ----------

BTW, the quarry in White, GA has been closed for a few years. The location was vandalized, operators could not afford to repair/replace. And, the quarry was down hill from chicken houses. Water was always green and kinda nasty. I only dove it a couple of times before I decided I would not return.

Back
Top Bottom