hoseless transmitter frequency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me the frequency range used by hoseless computer transmitters? This is mainly a trivia issue.. I was speaking to a friend a couple days ago and since we are both ham radio operators he asked about my hoseless transmitter and what frequency it uses. I really had no idea. FWIW - I have an Aeris 750GT.

Thanks.

I was told by the manufacturer of my hoseless dive computer that they do not use traditional "radio" waves. They use some sort of magnetic resonance technology. He told me that it transmits through water better than radio. In my case he said that water, divers, and much of our gear are transparent to the transmission, the only thing that will block it is metal, and he said that metal will block it completely. It is of a relatively low power so distance is a factor, but it is around 8 to 10 feet.

As for the Aeris, I don't know what technology they use.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
As for the Aeris, I don't know what technology they use.

Mark Vlahos

Whatever Aeris uses...if you have your computer on your wrist, you have to stop your DPV to get the screen to display the transmitted data...BTDT...:D

The new EPIC will read three different transmitters...

Yea, RF does not work underwater, and anything that causes a strong magnetic field can block the signal until the interference goes away... such as a scooter motor.

I would suspect it is rf in the VLF range, 10-20khz. These frequencies penetrate water fairly well. The interference from a DPV is most likely RFI. VLF frequencies are pretty susceptible to noise.

I don't have any direct knowledge, but have seen some stuff that indicated it is inductive coupling at a few hundred kHz. Similar to some of the RF ID tag or smart card technologies.

Maybe you can rig up a small coil, hook it up to a scope and report back. :)

Last night I watched Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ocean Adventures, Voyage to Kure.

One seqment was on testing new underwater communications equipment. Range was up to 200' deep. Didn't talk about the technology but the audio was pretty good. Probably had more than a 9volt battery driving it.

Back
Top Bottom