Getting pretty frustrated over Aeris software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
My family has 3 Aeris computers, 2 Atmos Elites and an Atmos II. The computers are fine in themselves, but the software is about to drive me nuts.

The original software that came with them was basic to the point of being crude, but it downloaded most of what was on the computer to a file format that I could use with real software for logging and analysis.

The most recent 2.0.3 version (which has remained stagnant since February 2006 despite some significant issues) is rubbish. For one thing, while it purports to compute a SAC, for some reason it's only capable of doing so on dives downloaded into the current version - it won't compute a SAC on a dive downloaded into a previous version even if all the relevant data is there. That doesn't matter much, though, because the purported SAC it does compute has no relationship to reality. The number reported does not match to any SAC formula I have ever seen. It's also in PSI/min, which to me is silly and useless. I want volume over time, not pressure change over time. I recognize there are those who think of SAC in terms of PSI/min, but this sort of thing should be a non-issue with software, which should be easily capable of reporting whatever units a user prefers. To add insult to injury, the database is now password-locked so I can't access MY OWN DIVE DATA using alternate software. Since the older software version is no longer available on the Aeris website, owners who didn't get it with their computers are stuck with this clunker unless 3rd-party developers come up with direct downloading.

Aeris is definitely aware of these issues, and indicated a fix was on the way ages ago. I'm trying to be patient, but this is starting to seem irresponsible on their part.

I'm interested in building a piece of software that should be able to directly download data from multiple computers (even per dive, because I am a data junkie :D , as result of my profession).
In fact I am thinking of this for a while now.

I would love to have some logs of Aeris downloads.
Do you have some? In fact I need the raw material as well, come to think of it... the stuff that is transported on the serial cable, that is.

Melle

Make sure you backup your data every time you use the Aeris software. If you ever add dives, modify dives or any way taunt the software, it will corrupt the database and you'll lose dives.

Great computers; crappy software.

Yeah, I never have been able to get the supposed latest version to permit me to change the "lifetime" dive number. Major PITA, but I am still hoping for a fix.

We are aware of problems with the SAC calculation and other issues and/or improvements posted by users on this board. The current version is vastly improved over the last version, thanks mostly to SB users. We are currently working on the next version, that will incorporate a new upcoming model, as well as address as many of these issues as feasible. I too would like this and a truck load of other projects to move to the finish line as soon as possible; there is only so much time available. I appreciate your bringing this to our attention, and thanks for your continued patience.

Doug

mstevens:
My family has 3 Aeris computers, 2 Atmos Elites and an Atmos II. The computers are fine in themselves, but the software is about to drive me nuts.

The original software that came with them was basic to the point of being crude, but it downloaded most of what was on the computer to a file format that I could use with real software for logging and analysis.

The most recent 2.0.3 version (which has remained stagnant since February 2006 despite some significant issues) is rubbish. For one thing, while it purports to compute a SAC, for some reason it's only capable of doing so on dives downloaded into the current version - it won't compute a SAC on a dive downloaded into a previous version even if all the relevant data is there. That doesn't matter much, though, because the purported SAC it does compute has no relationship to reality. The number reported does not match to any SAC formula I have ever seen. It's also in PSI/min, which to me is silly and useless. I want volume over time, not pressure change over time. I recognize there are those who think of SAC in terms of PSI/min, but this sort of thing should be a non-issue with software, which should be easily capable of reporting whatever units a user prefers. To add insult to injury, the database is now password-locked so I can't access MY OWN DIVE DATA using alternate software. Since the older software version is no longer available on the Aeris website, owners who didn't get it with their computers are stuck with this clunker unless 3rd-party developers come up with direct downloading.

Aeris is definitely aware of these issues, and indicated a fix was on the way ages ago. I'm trying to be patient, but this is starting to seem irresponsible on their part.

mstevens:

I have the Oceanic version of the same software. What I do is dump all the dives as a .csv file which lets you do what you want with them. I have a very short Perl script that will calculate SAC in cf/min from that output. I can post it if people are interested.

Doug Krause:
We are aware of problems with the SAC calculation and other issues and/or improvements posted by users on this board. The current version is vastly improved over the last version, thanks mostly to SB users. We are currently working on the next version, that will incorporate a new upcoming model, as well as address as many of these issues as feasible. I too would like this and a truck load of other projects to move to the finish line as soon as possible; there is only so much time available. I appreciate your bringing this to our attention, and thanks for your continued patience.

Doug

Why don't you tell programmers how to communicate with your device as the second poster asks? This is a much better solution. Frankly, I would imagine that six months after doing this, you could drop your own SW development and distribute an open source solution that was better.

I do appreciate the improvement over version 1 which was laughable, but version 2 is still some of the weakest software I've ever used.

Regarding the PERL script, I'm interested in seeing it.

BTW, can you compile PERL to create an exe for Windows, or do I need to download a PERL run time compiler (or whatever)? If the latter, is there a free one?

As you can tell, I'm only vaguely aware of PERL.

Thanks!

TT

Also, regarding the PERL script:

I'm a geek and would like to see how you do the calculations. Do you have this in a spreadsheet?

TT

HappyFunBoater:
Regarding the PERL script, I'm interested in seeing it.

BTW, can you compile PERL to create an exe for Windows, or do I need to download a PERL run time compiler (or whatever)? If the latter, is there a free one?

As you can tell, I'm only vaguely aware of PERL.

Thanks!

TT

Perl is free. You can get a windows version at perl.org.

Here is a code excerpt for the well known formula

my $NominalPress = 3000;
$SAC = $CylSize * ($StartPress-$EndPress)/$NominalPress / (1+$AvgDepth/33.0) / $DiveTime;

so it assumes the rated pressure is 3000 (e.g. AL80, which is what I use). You may have to change the first line of the script to get it to run on Windows, I don't know. Otherwise it should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom