Jocassee Lake report 4/29/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandjeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Surface temp was around 60. Sky was overcast and in AM, there was enough breeze to make it chilly. Dove the Junk and explored surrounding area. At 61 feet, temp was 56-58 degrees and thermocline was at around 20feet. Was wearing 5mil farmer and longsleave shorty over that. Gloves and hood as well and still very cold, but worth it to see the sites. For non-divers and boaters, Jocassee is a great place to spend the day as well. I'll wait to dive there again in July when its warmer.

I don't know how "much" it warms up but every time I've been there during the summer, below the thermocline it is still cold to me. That's why I'll have to be bringing my drysuit with me for all Jocassee dives.

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed diving the Junk myself and saw a large bass in there the last time I was in it. I only found out later that I was supposed to sign the slate at the mailbox. Did you see all of the pink flamingos?

Jeremy

Yes, Flamingos are there! as well as the Tic-Tac-Toe table and the other boat. Never saw the motorcycle though. Mailbox is still at front of Junk and Treasure chest on the back. Saw 1 little brim and thats it. The Flamingo crossing sign is still there as well. There's a computer monitor tied to the Junk that is positive. Must be the gas in the picture tube part. I hope it warms up some later in the summer. 70's would be ok. Whoever put the Flamingos down has a great sense of fun. I hope more odd critters appear.

I'm glad our flamingos are still in tact. That was an early morning raid so we wouldn't get caught by DNR. We put out 50. How many are still there? I haven't dove over there yet this year. We decided to say it was a migration of Flamingus Concretus that stopped on their way to Florida if we got caught.

dolphinfan:
I'm glad our flamingos are still in tact. That was an early morning raid so we wouldn't get caught by DNR. We put out 50. How many are still there? I haven't dove over there yet this year. We decided to say it was a migration of Flamingus Concretus that stopped on their way to Florida if we got caught.

I saw your flamingos last September . . . very funny! Have you seen the "Cow Crossing" sign at one of the dive platforms by the walk-in ramp?

I did a quick solo dive off the diver's ramp at Jocassee on Friday. I had pretty much the same conditions:
Surface temp at 62F. A thermocline at 30ft brought it to mid-fifties, and I found 49F at 124ft. I just wore a 7/5mm wetsuit; no hood or gloves. You can see the temps if you click on the image and squint at the redish/brown line below the dive profile.
Really good vis down to 60ft. Cleared up some at about 100ft.
I'll be there again this weekend!

Hey dolphinfan,
sorry didn't count them, but there's a bunch. One of them left formation some time ago and resides in the Junk. Next time, I'll get some pictures and post.

Back
Top Bottom