Need advice on wrist dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alam555

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I am new to dive computers, but just got half off my resort so am now going to buy my very first dive computer :wink:

so here is what i am looking for based on what I have learnt by reading existing posts and my experience.

I am looking for :

Wrist computer ( i don't have a regulator just yet)
Air and Nitrox
Water temp (cool, but optional)
backlight for night dives
memory for dive logs
downloadable to computer
audible alarms with ability to turn off
auto-on

It seems like a lot of people like the Cobra, but I am also looking at Mares. i would like to stay under $500. I only dive 2-3 times a year, but hoping to improve upon that :).

thank you

I'm also on the side of the Stinger (Suunto). Great computer / watch. it travels with me for every dive.

Cheers,

JE

alam555:
Hi,
I am new to dive computers, but just got half off my resort so am now going to buy my very first dive computer :wink:

so here is what i am looking for based on what I have learnt by reading existing posts and my experience.

I am looking for :

Wrist computer ( i don't have a regulator just yet)
Air and Nitrox
Water temp (cool, but optional)
backlight for night dives
memory for dive logs
downloadable to computer
audible alarms with ability to turn off
auto-on

It seems like a lot of people like the Cobra, but I am also looking at Mares. i would like to stay under $500. I only dive 2-3 times a year, but hoping to improve upon that :).

thank you

Lots of good computers out there. Uwatec, Aeris, Mares, Oceanic, Nitek, and Suunto all make good computers in your price range. What size computer are you looking for. I recently bought a Suunto Gekko has everything but a backlight. A Suunto Vytec or Vyper may suit your needs. By the way I night dive with my Gekko. You charge it up and it glows in the dark. I find it more convenient for night dives since I don't have to punch a button to see it.

Make sure you can replace the battery yourself.

I use a SUUNTO Vyper with A Deep Sea Supply mount. Well within your price range and has all the features you want. Plus if you purchase from divetank you get double the warranty, extre replaceable battery/o ring, the cable and a travel box plus the computer software for less than $500. great product, great service, great deal!
Paul

Take a look at the Suunto Mosquito too. Same features as Stinger, but less robust. Has the advantage over the Stinger in that it's user replacable batteries. Also it's less expensive than the Stinger.

The Suunto Vyper was my first dive computer for recreational diving and I still like it, does everything mentioned.

I had one hangup with the Sunnto's (at least the Cobra). If you dove on air you had to wait till the computer cleared to switch to nitrox mode. There is an easy way around that switch to nitrox mode and set it to 21% for the first dive. Just a nusance that irratated me to no end. I do not know if this was a cobra only thing or more of them exibit the same behavior.

Back
Top Bottom