Home Dunk Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfriedel

Registered
Reaction score
So this summer, rather than hanging all of my gear on the clothesline and getting liberal with the hose and hoping I get everything clean, I'm thinking about buying a big 30 gallon garbage can with lid and filling it with water to dunk rinse everything. But I don't want to have to constantly be filling a 30 gallon can full of water and dumping it out every weekend. (I'm cheap and it'd take too long to babysit. :)) So I'm figuring I'd fill it once a month (or less), and leave it lidded the rest of the time. However, I figure that if I have a nice clean (ish) tank full of water, soaking up the sunlight, it's gonna funk up fairly quickly. To counter that, I figured I'd add a cup or so of bleach.

Should I worry that a 0.2% solution of bleach is going to wreck my neoprene and bcds, or is there something else I could use to keep the bacterial growth down?

I fill the bathtub and soak gear for a few, then turn on the shower for a final rinse. I hang everything in a doorway with a couple of towels on the floor(closets are full already). I'm no chemist, but I worry about using bleach.

pfriedel:
I'm thinking about buying a big 30 gallon garbage can with lid and filling it with water to dunk rinse everything.
I use a large wash tub with a very mild solution of Ocean Fresh Fabuloso and water to soak or rinse my gear. Then I hang it out to dry. It smells great for quite a while. I just cover the tub to keep stuff from getting in it and leave it in the garage.

Willie

I've got a large rubbermaid trash bucket filled with water for a dunk tank. I change the water @ once a month or so. I dont put any chemicals in the water. It is in the garage and covered when not being used. I've had no problems with it getting funky. Not sure what would happen outdoors in the sun, though. I know I wouldnt want to use bleach, but I'm not sure if there is a real danger there.

Bleach will work. It's just chlorine. Or use chlorine tablets from the pool-care isle of your favorite store. On the pool isle at the store also grab a package of test strips. You just dip them and they change color to show the chlorine level in the water. Chlorine evaporates so rapidly that you ought to be able to shock the water once in a while and then wait just a couple of days for it to evaporate off (check with the strips) before using the tank to wash gear. Leave the tank uncovered or the chlorine won't evaporate off.

Alternatively, if you can find a shady spot and keep it sealed it should stay fresh for quite a while and you won't need to chlorinate it.

-Ben M.

Some people even have separate gear for using in chlorinated pools because it fades. Putting bleach or chlorine in your rinse water doesn't make sense to me.

Damselfish:
Some people even have separate gear for using in chlorinated pools because it fades. Putting bleach or chlorine in your rinse water doesn't make sense to me.

Chlorine evaporates quickly leaving pure water. I wouldn't hesitate to chlorinate a dunk tank to de-funk it. I'd just wait a few days for the chlorine to evaporate off before putting gear in it. You can use the cheap pool test strips to verify that the chlorine is gone.

-Ben M.

Yeah, I'm not too terribly worried about the chlorine, really, just wasn't sure if there was something else convenient to add that would work to keep the biologicals down. I may get the garage cleaned out this summer and have space for it in there, but that's a long shot. :D

Being in Wisconsin wit no salt water maybe this frugality makes sense but I spring for a fresh water fill after every dive day.

I fill the barrel while I do the final put-aways so it's usually sun warmed when I arrive from the next outing.

I just run fresh well water. I've only needed sink-stink once in 2 years and over 300 skin / scuba dives.

I have a concrete slab where I tend our gear in the warmer months. I just move the barrel a bit each time to water a different section of the lawn.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom