Lake Pleasant dive outing - any interest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Bob (Grateful Diver) posted this in the PNW forum and I think it's a great idea. I was wondering if anyone here in Arizona would be interested in doing something similar. Now we don't have quite the caliber of diving that they have in Cove 2, but it is diving. Besides, viz has been 15-20 feet lately. Water temps have climbed to the mid 60s. The sun is setting later in the day. So let's go diving!!!

My wife and I will be at Lake Pleasant on 5/24 to do some diving. We're planning on staying there until 5/26 early afternoon. Yes, these are weekdays, but it's less crowded and safer during the week (less boats and drinkers). Water temp should be in the low 70s by then (last year we got temps in the mid to high 70s on 6/10).

How about a group dive on the afternoon/evening of Wednesday the 24th? It would be great to have a mix of experienced divers and new divers to buddy up together. I know of one diver who is planning on being there that afternoon. I think I can also get another diver we've dived with to meet us there that day.

Anyone else interested? This is open to anyone who wants to dive, not just SB members. And like Bob's thing, if this first outing pans out, then maybe we can make it a monthly thing.

Don't worry about posting your experience level here. It doesn't matter. Just post if you're interested. Once we see how much interest there is we can decide on the dive site. I'm partial to the wall, but we can dive anywhere - Desert Tortoise, Dirty Shirt, wherever. Let's just get together and dive!

Yes! I'm interested and possibly my husband (someone has to watch the kids!) I'll spread the word to our other diving friends.

Great! Hope to see you there. Bring the kids. I'm hoping to get enough interest that we'll have to split the group and do a couple of dives anyway.

Rob I would be interested but still havent bought my bp/w or regs yet, and I really dont want to rent gear from DD.

Rob,

A couple of us will try to come out after work and catch a evening/night dive. It will be nice to meet a few SB'ers and dive with them.

Craig

Jay, PM sent.

Craig, that's great! Hope to see you there.

Looking forward to meeting you, Andres.

Rob any idea what time on the 24th you plan on being at the lake? And how the heck do I get there from tucson? Do I need to hit desert divers for a tank or is there a place on the way where I can grab a tank? I will be heading back to tucson that same day so will there be time for more than 1 dive? kinda seems like a waste of a long drive for only 1 dive...

Jay,

We're planning on being at the lake by 1pm, earlier if I can get my butt out of bed sooner. :D There will definitely be time for more than 1 dive. We go up on day trips about 1/2 the time, the other 1/2 we stay overnight. You can camp right next to the water. The most convenient place to rent tanks is Sports Chalet. It's right off the highway about 5 miles before the turn off for Lake Pleasant. Tanks are $10/day. This includes unlimited fills. It would take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to drive there, get a fill and drive back to the lake, though.

Directions to Lake Pleasant:

West on I-10
Exit onto I-17 north (around exit 250/you'll enter I-17 at mile 195)
Sport Chalet is on Happy Valley Rd (exit 217?)
Exit I-17 onto Carefree Highway (exit 225?) and head west (left) for about 12 miles
Pass the 1st Lake Pleasant entrance. That's the marina. You want to go into the entrance 2 miles later.
Turn right onto Hot Castle Springs Rd. Follow the signs to the entrance.
Turn right onto the main park road.
Pay the $5 entry fee.
Keep going straight until you come to Peninsula Rd. on the right (the road narrows after this so you can't miss it).
Turn right onto Peninsula.
You'll go around some bends in the road. When you come to the part of the road that widens up and has a yellow lined median, slow down and get ready to make a hairpin left turn. This is Dirty Shirt Rd.
Drive a couple hundred yards and turn right onto a dirt road.
Follow this dirt road to the water. This is Scorpion Cove, aka the wall. The cove runs from foot deep to about 10 feet deep, the perfect place to get acquainted with new gear, suits, etc. The wall starts inside the cove about 50 ft from the permanent buoy in the cove.

I'll pm my cell number to anyone who would like it to call that day if you get lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom