Trying to select dive computer Mares vs. Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linda Sue

New
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on a dive computer. I currently have a wrist computer and I really like it but it is only for air. I am looking at a Mares Nemo and a Suunto. The Mares is a little cheaper. I have about 80 dives, live in Florida and try to dive as much as I can (but not in the winter - the water is still too cold for me!! ). Anyway I wanted to spend about $500 and definitely want the nitrox calculations. Any reports on the differences on the 2 computers

I just bought a mares nemo. It was basically between it and a suunto gekko or mosquito. But my LDS gave me an excellent price on the nemo that was lower than the suunto mosquito so i went with it. From what i have read the mares nemo is a little more conservative than some computers.

Hi Linda,

I have not used a Mares Nemo, so I cannot comment on its function. I'm using a Suunto Gekko ( done Nitrox on it ) for about 1 yr, and it had served me well. Forget about the mossie, had a friend who regretted getting it. Buttons too small, too stiff. The screen is too small.

Why I decided on getting the Suunto brand of DC was because, I had dived with a friend's Gekko before buying mine. Suunto's DC are quite easy to use, quite Idiot proof so to speak ( I'm referring to myself :D ). Setting it to Nitrox or Air mode , setting Max depth alarm, retrieving dive data etc . And alot of Suunto's DC have battery that are user replacable. That is, able to buy the battery off the shelf and replace by the diver. ( To be prudent, send the DC in for pressure testing to ensure the O ring are properly seated ) Unlike some brands whereby the diver needs to send in the DC to the service centre just to get the battery change, provided there IS an service centre for the brand in your country, else you will need to pay for 2 way freight .

Had this piece of advise from a fellow diver when i'm shopping for a DC. He said, "look around when you go diving, see what is the brand of DC that most divers are using." Well in my part of the world ( Singapore ) there are more Suunto users than any other brand. And he mentioned that, if as a new user you runs into problem using the DC or understand its function while on a dive trip and manual is not within reach, at least , you can be sure that, there will be some divers who are using the brand of DC you are using.. And able to get some help from them.

After deciding on the brand, I shortlisted Suunto Gekko and Vyper. For me, i will not be doing Deco dives, ( so I do not need Guage Mode ) . I need a Nitrox capable DC. And night dives constitute less than 20% of my dives . ( So I do not really need the backlight. ) Hence I chose the Gekko over the Vyper. The S$100 i saved from buying a Gekko, I used that to buy a 6watt LED dive light, ( my primary SL4 now becomes my backup light ).

There is this Suunto website whereby you can choose the different models and compare their functions side by side. http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/article_1column.jsp?search=search

Sorry for the long post. :D

Let's see the views of other users on their prefered DC

Thats fast... you haven hear the Mare Nemo side of the story yet . :D

I just got my nemo yesterday. I haven't dove with it yet but i have to say it is one nice looking computer. The gekko would be a great computer as well. The only advantage of the nemo is the backlight, and the ability to use dive planning. The gekko doesnt have a simulation mode. The nemo also has deep stops in its algorithm which the gekko does not. Depending on your diving, either would probably be a great choice.

The Vyper has what the Gekko lacks - Backlight , dive planning, Guage Mode. For about S$100 more .

Suunto Vyper here...LOVE it!! :10:

Norm

stonefish35:
The Vyper has what the Gekko lacks - Backlight , dive planning, Guage Mode. For about S$100 more .

Vyper is a great DC.:wink: Will love to get it instead of my Gekko, but I really do not need the guage mode, dive simulation and Backlight. Instead , I used the S$100 that I saved to get a UK 6 watt eLED. Trying to stretch my limit funds :05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom