Sensus Ultra Arrived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainman_02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yay! I got my Sensus Ultra this weekend and it seems cool. I'll dive it this weekend and see how it works. It's much more simple to interface to the PC (or Mac, I guess) than my Suunto dive computer.

I've attached a small bolt snap to it much like a backup light and I'll tuck it in my left pocket for dives.

It's a nice looking product and I can't wait to try it out on a dive.

I've got the Sensus Pro. When I travel, I use my own reg, but often use a rental BCD. I worry about leaving the Sensus Pro on someone else's BCD. Therefore, I've got it velcroed to the lp inflator hose right by the first stage. It is easy enough to download and not likely to be left behind.

The Ultra performs better than advertised! It rocks on data collection and blows the Suunto Vytec out of the water. If you want to log your dives on the computer, it's the way to go.

rainman_02:
Yay! I got my Sensus Ultra this weekend and it seems cool. I'll dive it this weekend and see how it works. It's much more simple to interface to the PC (or Mac, I guess) than my Suunto dive computer.

Not so fast, there. No Mac software yet. Promised in "the next few weeks". Sound familiar Mac users? Same story with Palm software. And who the heck uses serial periphorals anymore?

ZzzKing:
Not so fast, there. No Mac software yet. Promised in "the next few weeks". Sound familiar Mac users?

Unlike many manufacturers' promises, ours are genuine.

We already have Mac OS software on our site for our Sensus and Sensus Pro models. I am sitting in front of my powerbook right now working on the updated software to support the Ultra. It's a reality.

Furthermore, as soon as the Mac OS software is finished I will be writing the Sensus Ultra developer's guide. ReefNet not only allows third-party development, but encourages it. This policy has gained us a lot of respect in the dive industry.

ZzzKing:
Same story with Palm software.

Handheld software supporting the Ultra will take longer, for sure. To be honest, we are considering moving to the Pocket PC platform for PDA development due to its huge market penetration lately. We have only so many development resources to devote to this sort of thing and must prioritize. Regardless of our choice, we are confident that third-parties will come up with quality products to fill any gaps that we leave open.

ZzzKing:
And who the heck uses serial periphorals anymore?

WE DO, for several very important, logical reasons:

• Serial requires no drivers. This makes third-party development MUCH simpler, especially on different operating systems (Linux, DOS, ...). USB would in fact require separate drivers for every operating system - perhaps even for different OS revisions.
  • Because of the extra driver layer, USB has many more potential failure modes: driver conflicts, OS incompatibilities, etc. When it works it's great, but when it doesn't, it can be a nightmare to debug. This is bad if the data is critical, such as in a recompression chamber treatment situation.
  • PDAs don't support USB peripherals. They are themselves USB "slave" devices and cannot talk to other slaves. But they all (well, 99%) have serial ports.
  • The added speed of USB is wasted on the Sensus, which (because of it's very low power budget) is limited to 115.2 kbps transfer rate. This is still very fast.
  • USB substantially increases the cost of the hardware. More electronics, more complex firmware, etc. If you MUST use USB, we have a USB-Serial adapter available.
  • 9 pins are better than 4 :wink:

The serial port is simply the most elegant interface for this sort of peripheral. USB may be newer technology, but RS-232 is far more reliable, far simpler, and far more widely supported. Despite marketing hype, there is nothing antiquated about it.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.

rainman_02:
The Ultra performs better than advertised! It rocks on data collection and blows the Suunto Vytec out of the water. If you want to log your dives on the computer, it's the way to go.

Glad you like it.

Yes, our new recorders are really in a league of their own in terms of data resolution and configurability. The main reason we introduced the new model was for demanding tech divers and scientists who need super high precision data. For the average diver, 0.5 inch depth resolution and 0.01 C temperature resolution is (probably) overkill...but it sure is cool!

For instance, my first official test "dive" was in a cup of water 5 inches deep. Profile attached.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.

Kris,
Glad to see you here... I've had my Sensus pro for several years and have been nothing but pleased with it.... I'm looking forward to tradingmine in for an upgrade...that is if I stop divinglong enough to send it in :)

Ben

is it just me, or does Sensus Ultra sound like the latest razor?

I have been using MacOS computers since the late 80's and remember the days of waiting months for companies to get around to updating software and drivers. For some reason this was never the case with some of the companies. Adobe comes to mind.

reefnet:
Unlike many manufacturers' promises, ours are genuine.

We already have Mac OS software on our site for our Sensus and Sensus Pro models. I am sitting in front of my powerbook right now working on the updated software to support the Ultra. It's a reality.

And that is why I purchased it, because of the Mac support. Got it a couple of days ago, no Mac support, and I've heard promises before. I've never owned any of your products, though. Maybe your company is different.

reefnet:
Furthermore, as soon as the Mac OS software is finished I will be writing the Sensus Ultra developer's guide. ReefNet not only allows third-party development, but encourages it. This policy has gained us a lot of respect in the dive industry.

Handheld software supporting the Ultra will take longer, for sure. To be honest, we are considering moving to the Pocket PC platform for PDA development due to its huge market penetration lately. We have only so many development resources to devote to this sort of thing and must prioritize. Regardless of our choice, we are confident that third-parties will come up with quality products to fill any gaps that we leave open.

And thus I can't use my PDA in the interim.

In reference to using serial:
reefnet:
WE DO, for several very important, logical reasons:

• Serial requires no drivers. This makes third-party development MUCH simpler, especially on different operating systems (Linux, DOS, ...). USB would in fact require separate drivers for every operating system - perhaps even for different OS revisions.

• MacOS doesn't now, nor has it ever, included serial devices. Don't believe me, try hooking up a state-of-the-art, Windows 95 compatible mouse to your Powerbook. I can't seem to find a port on mine to do that. Maybe you have a custom built one.

reefnet:
    [*]Because of the extra driver layer, USB has many more potential failure modes: driver conflicts, OS incompatibilities, etc. When it works it's great, but when it doesn't, it can be a nightmare to debug. This is bad if the data is critical, such as in a recompression chamber treatment situation.

I haven't bought a periphoral in more than five years that had a driver that was incompatible with my OS. I plug them in and they work. This is definitely NOT the case with my office PC, however.

reefnet:
    [*]PDAs don't support USB peripherals. They are themselves USB "slave" devices and cannot talk to other slaves. But they all (well, 99%) have serial ports.

My Treo 650 must be one of the 1%.

reefnet:
    [*]The added speed of USB is wasted on the Sensus, which (because of it's very low power budget) is limited to 115.2 kbps transfer rate. This is still very fast.

The added speed of Firewire is wasted on everything except audio and video but that doesn't mean it only gets used for those.

reefnet:
    [*]USB substantially increases the cost of the hardware. More electronics, more complex firmware, etc. If you MUST use USB, we have a USB-Serial adapter available.

I just bought a cheap-*ss USB card reader for less than $15. It must not add a whole lot to the cost or they wouldn't be able to sell it for that.

reefnet:
    [*]9 pins are better than 4 :wink:

There are certain technically oriented groups on here that may dispute your logic on that (they would be the "more points of failure" folks) but all I have to say is, if 9 is better than 4, then why aren't 9 faster than 4?

reefnet:
The serial port is simply the most elegant interface for this sort of peripheral. USB may be newer technology, but RS-232 is far more reliable, far simpler, and far more widely supported. Despite marketing hype, there is nothing antiquated about it.

And that is why all the manufacturers are rushing to include as many RS-232 ports as possible on every CPU sold.

It doesn't irritate you that you can't use your own product on your own computer?

Sorry for the rant but I have been excitedly awaiting the arrival for over a month and want to play with my new toy. Technically I have played with it since I have taken it on a couple of dives. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE hurry with the updated software so I can see what I did on those dives.

This is a VERY LONG post. Sorry about that. But I felt that each of ZzzKing's points deserved a thoughtful, complete response.

ZzzKing:
And that is why I purchased it, because of the Mac support. Got it a couple of days ago, no Mac support, and I've heard promises before. I've never owned any of your products, though. Maybe your company is different.

We try to be very approachable, responsive (it's 1:46 am as I write this), and honest. And I most certainly think we are "different".

The fact that we actually have Mac software sitting on our web site should at least prove that we are not totally BS-ing you. We began shipping the Sensus Ultra as soon as the Windows software was ready. If we had waited for the Mac software, you wouldn't even have your recorder yet. I think this decision was reasonable, and if anything it puts more pressure on us to get the update finished promptly.

ZzzKing:
And thus I can't use my PDA in the interim.

I'm really sorry about that. You'll just have to wait for word from us on our handheld software roadmap. It will take time.

ZzzKing:
MacOS doesn't now, nor has it ever, included serial devices. Don't believe me, try hooking up a state-of-the-art, Windows 95 compatible mouse to your Powerbook. I can't seem to find a port on mine to do that. Maybe you have a custom built one.

I beg to differ. Macs DID in fact have serial ports in the form of an 8-pin Mini-DIN connector. In true Mac style, it used the RS-422 standard which is more robust than the PC's RS-232. This was a standard feature for a long time.

As an engineer, I think the recent push to kill off the serial port is a major mistake. The serial port does not harm anything, except in the weak sense that it "clutters" the back of someone's PC/Mac. There is NO valid technical reason to remove it and many good ones to keep it.

Technical argument aside...if you do not have a serial port, you simply use a USB-Serial adapter. They work great on PCs and Macs.

ZzzKing:
I haven't bought a periphoral in more than five years that had a driver that was incompatible with my OS. I plug them in and they work. This is definitely NOT the case with my office PC, however.

I've got to disagree with you here too. We used to recommend that users without serial ports go out and buy a USB adapter off the shelf. But it turns out that there are LOTS of such adapters that come with lousy drivers that don't install properly, don't work, or worse...work intermittently.

What will surprise you even more: we had the most driver complaints from OS X users. Each OS X revision tends to break the low-level system drivers and many adapter manufacturers are very slow to update them. It was a nightmare.

The ONLY reason that we sell a USB adapter on our web site ourselves is so that we can guarantee it (and support it) on all of our supported OSes. No problems since then.

ZzzKing:
My Treo 650 must be one of the 1%.

Actually, it's one of the 99%. The Treo 650 has a serial port. But like most PDAs, you need the appropriate serial cable to access it. Lots of companies make them. For instance:

http://www.pcables.com/prod1.html

These cables are painfully expensive and I have not tried them all (hence cannot guarantee that they work), but they are the ONLY OPTION. As I said before, you cannot connect your USB sync cable to a USB device, even if our recorder was USB. Two USB slave devices cannot speak to eachother.

When it comes to PDA support, early models like the Palm m100 are the best. They come with a serial sync cable in the box, and work flawlessly. I have often suggested going to eBay and picking one up for $20 (or less!) just for dive data analysis. At that price, you'll probably feel much safer taking it on a dive boat where it might get trashed.

ZzzKing:
The added speed of Firewire is wasted on everything except audio and video but that doesn't mean it only gets used for those.

I mentioned the speed issue because I am often asked about it. I merely meant that there was no particular incentive to use USB on the basis of speed.

ZzzKing:
I just bought a cheap-*ss USB card reader for less than $15. It must not add a whole lot to the cost or they wouldn't be able to sell it for that.

I have one of those too. So do about 20,000,000 other people.

When you manufacture in that kind of volume, components become dirt cheap. We manufacture in the low 1000's and do not get much of a break at all. The volume pricing difference can be as much as 5:1 on some electronic components. Huge.

It is much more cost-effective for us to resell a prefab USB-Serial adapter then to incorporate similar electronics in our device itself. In the end the user would still have to install a driver, so there is no overhead or added complexity with the separate adapter. In fact, by getting the USB adapter separately, you have a perfectly good serial port at your disposal, not a proprietary download dongle. Proprietary is not our style.

ZzzKing:
There are certain technically oriented groups on here that may dispute your logic on that (they would be the "more points of failure" folks) but all I have to say is, if 9 is better than 4, then why aren't 9 faster than 4?

I think you missed the ":wink:". That line was supposed to be a joke.

ZzzKing:
Sorry for the rant but I have been excitedly awaiting the arrival for over a month and want to play with my new toy. Technically I have played with it since I have taken it on a couple of dives. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE hurry with the updated software so I can see what I did on those dives.

If I were you I'd probably be anxious too. But consider yourself lucky...we had pre-orders dating back to October of 2005, so you are a relative newcomer.

The Mac update is currently our top priority. We are working REALLYREALLYREALLYREALLY quickly to finish it. But we do not rush software development. It will be done soon.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom