D6 vs. Gekko (+ Watch +Compass + ???)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offshore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Strange as it may sound, I think I've narrowed down my choice of computers/bottom timers to either the Suunto D6 or the Suunto Gekko + compass and later maybe/also a watch and what have you. Points to rant on are:

1. The LDS only sells Suunto and will only sell Suunto (owner has been diving with several different computers since the days of the brick computers that looked like cell phones or portable TVs from the 80s, and says Suunto is hands down the obvious brand).

2. I decided early on that I don't want air integration, just a simple tank gauge and a separate console for measuring bottom time, depth, etc.

Reasons to prefer Gekko:
3. PC interface will not help (at least for now) unless it is mac compatible.

4. Phosphorescent illumination seems to make more sense; if I need it, I will always have a light to charge it, either way, I don't want to use the computer's battery for illumination.

5. I usually believe that I should by one piece of equipment that does one thing well, and is robust and inexpensive, rather than trying to buy one thing that does it all. This is also helpful for not having one the break down and leave me without several functions rather than just losing one function. Also, if I were to get a watch, it would probably be solar or kinetic powered, not battery powered.

6. Big screen is a plus

Reasons to prefer D6:
7. Although I don't do deep stop or gas-switching dives yet, and don't plan to for at least a year or two, wouldn't it be a waste to have bought a computer that should last years only to have to buy a new one for more "advanced" diving rather than having just gotten it all the first time?

8. Supposedly with thick gloves, pushing buttons from the side is easier than the frontal buttons on the Gekko

9. The D6 is absolutely beautiful; I would probably wear it during the week as well.

10. A watch I wear all the time is more likely to fail while not diving and can be fixed before the next dive; much better than to be surprised with a failure of something I only use while diving.

That's how I am pitting a choice between not just two incomporable computers, but two versatile setups.

Anyone do one or the other and are happy or wish they did it the other way?

Offshore:
3. PC interface will not help (at least for now) unless it is mac compatible.

There are mac solutions for Suunto computers, including the Gekko. See my signature for one.

-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom