deco software and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martini_effect

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using vplanner regularly for dives up to 55m on air, using nitrox for deco
(for conservatism and also accelerated deco). Easy to use and reliable. also very good, quick support from Ross Hemmingway on all my queries.

What I have found is that its quite important to dive with a computer that matches the model on your deco software tables.

For example the Suunto Vytec has RGBM which really penalises you for deco time on the second deep dive of the day. If you're diving vplanner with Vytec as backup you then have the choice of bending your Vytec or hanging another 30 mins on the line to clear it.

Has anyone got any suggestions on deco software and computers that work well together for deep air dives?

Could always set your Suunto into nitrox mode at a %age that gives similar figures to your vplanner...

Z...

I use Dplan with the GF's modified to produce what amounts to VPM-A profiles. Most of my diving is deep air to 150 ft with accellerated deco on 50%.

My Sherwood Wisdom, using what amounts to fairly liberal US Navy tables for deco diving, does a pretty good job of being ready to get out of the water when DPlan says I am ready. It is not set up for deep stops, but it does give you credit for offgassing at the deep stops with the result that the unit is either clear or asking for only a short 10 ft stop when I finally get there. This is at least the case on mild to moderate deco with 45-60 minute run times.

In my case the DPlan generated profiles and contigencies for greater time and depth for a loss of the deco gas(es) and are carried on a slate with the primary depth and time instrument being an Uwatec bottom timer. The computer is back up in the sense of backup depth and time, but the only possible role the computer decompression functions play are to potentially provide a relatively quick way (no deco or little deco) to the surface in the event of an abort early in the dive.

Personally, if I were done and the computer wanted another 30 minutes, I'd just bend the computer, take the battery out to clear it and then use it in gauge mode for the rest of the trip.

My HS explorer gives profiles very close to v-planner for shallower trimix dives <200fsw It requires longer shallower stops after deeper > 200fsw dives using CF0 setting

Back
Top Bottom