Atmos 2 question re. ascent rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I just started using an Atmos 2 - my first computer. On every single dive it shows that I exceeded the acsent rate (either 30 fpm or 60 fpm when deeper). On the last two dives I did I was very careful (I was on a line) and it still did it. I wear it on my wrist and wonder if it doesn't go bonkers simply when I just bring it up to eye level when I want to read it? If this is the case then is there an upgrade to the software that does a little filtering of this effect? Does this happen with most/all computers?

subc:
I wear it on my wrist and wonder if it doesn't go bonkers simply when I just bring it up to eye level when I want to read it? If this is the case then is there an upgrade to the software that does a little filtering of this effect? Does this happen with most/all computers?

Maybe you could leave in your pocket for one dive and see if the problem persists. Other than that, just make sure to always ascend slowly and calmly.

Hi Subc,

I too have noticed that the Atmos 2 is highly sensitive to ascent rates and sometimes when I move from a horizontal to vertical position in the water it will register and ascent rate violation. I've only used two computers, but the other, a Cressi Archimede, doesn't do this. It's been suggested to me that the atmos is so picky with ascent rates to compensate for its very liberal tables. I don't know of any software that will fix this, so as stated above just ascend slowly and calmly to keep the little booger happy.

Best of luck

-prittykitty

yeah I get flagged when I move my arm up too fast. It's annoying but I got used to it and don't do it much anymore. It took me awhile to figure out what was happening.

I don't think I have ever made a dive without getting at least one ascent warning from it. But I have gotten better...yeah it does go off if you go from trim to vertical in the water, but, hey, you can't ascend too slowly in my book.

*Floater*:
Maybe you could leave in your pocket for one dive and see if the problem persists. Other than that, just make sure to always ascend slowly and calmly.

I agree with this totally, but I would add that you might want to try and slow down the arm movements as well. I used to do the same thing, until I learned to slow down. Once I learned to relax and move like I was in slow motion, all those little problems went away, and my SAC rate improved as well.

Back
Top Bottom