New snorkeler-wet suit advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm brand new to snorkeling having just tried it in Belize and Costa Rica - I'm hooked and eventually want to get scuba certified. Next May I'm going to USVI and wondered about a wetsuit. I'm small and thin and a whimp in cold water. Belize's water was kind of cold to me so I rented a wetsuit. Costa Rica's water was fabulous. If I decide to get a wetsuit for the USVI (and other warm-water sites) do you think I should get a 3mm or something thinner? Full or shorty? I'm trying to keep cost down but know they can be expensive. Also, I live in AZ - so we only have I think 1 dive shop - thought I'd order online. This grandma is so passionate about this sport so any advice/ideas is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

I'm a whimp in the water too.. I ALWAYS were a wetsuit no matter what.. in the tropics I like my 3mil... full suit.. and I mean full, even a hood, and 3mil socks. If you become the temperature of the water as fast as I do.. a 3mil is a good choice for warm water. Some of the best taylor made suits can be found at http://www.eliossub.com and they are very reasonable (especially for custom fit) and very much professionally made. Otherwise.. an option for the cheapest suits is to just go down to the local fleet farm or similar store and buy a Stearns full suit for like $50 or so.. they'll do fine in a pinch and I pack a bunch of them in different sizes for when I run into gearless snorklers.

Elios makes some REALLY nice suits...

My friend Nico was wearing one while we were freediving the Blue Hole in New Mexico this past January. Really nice, although 3mm is a little too thin for 60 degree water.. :wink:

You don't need to spend a bushel of $$ to get a good suit.
ScubaMax is a brand that is very economical & is sturdy enough to hold up to commercial seafood harvesting.
They even come in a lot of colors too, like solid black or blue/black. :wink:

I wear 1mm at most in warm water myself, but since you're from a warm place and felt cold in Belize a 3mm might be right for you. (When exactly were you in Belize? - the water temp will be colder in the winter and early spring.) Some people like shorties but I prefer fullsuits for better protection against sun, gear, general bumping around on a boat, or possible stinging things in the water.

A wetsuit can be tricky to order online since they all fit differently and fit is important, though its not as hard with a 3mm than something thicker. If you need to order online you might have a little trial and error, may even make sense to order 2 sizes if you're not sure so you can compare then return one.

mickie,

Shorties are nice for the freedom, but a fullsuit will protect you from the sun and things like jellyfish. You could always go with a 3mm shorty, and opt for a 1mm dive skin underneath, to give yourself a few different options.

There are plenty of online retailers that are very good about returns. Some even encourage you to order several sizes and return those that don't fit. I've found that even with the return shipping fees, you can still walk away cheaper than you would have at many shops. You also get a much larger selection this way.

Good luck!

If you find yourself getting cold, you've got to do the full... (You'll ruin your entire dive shivering!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom