Back from Tobermory...What a BLAST!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_junkie

Reaction score
Well, I'm back and I'm hooked. Tobermory is a great town and fantastic dive locale, and wreck diving is unbeleivable. I have a long winded account of the trip here on the Generel Scuba Discussions topic if you want to read more.... Link to my babbling....

I cant wait to go back there, as well as find some local places/charters to do some wreck diving.

Dan - Sorry I didnt get a chance to hook up with you. Both days and nights where pretty busy schedule wise.

Hasta la pasta!
Erich :eek:ut:

I read your dive report. Sounds like you had a great trip and actually hit it when it's at it's warmest.

Now, ya gotta dive the St Lawrence and her wrecks. <just my .02 worth. :) >

Glad you had such a positive experience in Toby. The wrecks ARE awesome, aren't they? I also enjoy the marine life: whitefish, salmon, perch... even the ocasional burbot.

Admittedly, they're not as pretty as their tropical cousins, but diving in the Great Lakes is not nearly as critter-poor as some people would have you believe.

BTW, is the Sweet Shop still there? If so, did you have one of their world famous hot fudge sundaes? To DIE for!

And nothing beats the fresh whitefish they serve at The Crow's Nest... unless it's getting it directly from the local fishermen like Dean's and cooking it yourself. Or the smoked stuff... Mmmmm... yummy! pausing to clean drool off keyboard

BTW, cold tolerance is very subjective. So don't scoff at people who would be wearing a drysuit & hood in water you think is warm enough to dive wet sans head gear. Ne kultchurny, eh?!

~SubMariner~
A Canuck now living in the Deep South

SubMariner once bubbled...
~SubMariner~
A Canuck now living in the Deep South

Ah - ha! Another one. :) I thought your avatar was rather B.C.'ish looking.

As an expat even deeper south, it's good to see others here.

I got certified down here, and have only been in the warm waters of the Atlantic and Gulf so far. But I'm heading north to visit home the first week of October, and have been invited up to Gananoque to dive in the St. Lawrence.

I don't know if I'm going to take them up on their offer yet or not. Other than my shortie, the thickest suit I have is 3mm, and I'm sure it's a little nippier than that in October. :)

If not - there's always next summer at the family cottage in Minden.

Marc

Yes, I had a ball up there. I wished my best friend and local dive buddy could have gone, but it was still fun even on my own. I got to meet a lot of great people. Many thanks to Jeff and Dave at G&S Watersports for being great captains and guides. Thanks to Eric and Dave from the US Scuba Center for keeping things organized, fun and safe for all of us!

submariner - yep, the Sweet Shop is still there. Didnt know about the sundaes, but will be sure to give them a try next time. The Crows Nest is where we did most of our socializing and lunches amongst the group. Gotta love them snake-bites. I had the whitefish for lunch one day, great eats.

Erich :eek:ut:

FLL

Yup... it's astounding how many Maple Leaf's jerseys you see at Thrasher/Leafs games! :wink:

We've been down here 4 years. At this point we're almost ready to have T-shirts made that say NOT a Yankee, eh?!

Yes, the avatar is a Haida Killer Whale. I happen to have a similar one on my ankle, exept it's Kwaikutl (black, red, green, & white as opposed to Haida black, red, and white).

October will DEFINITELY be 5-7mm or drysuit time up in The St. Lawrence, so you may want to wait till Summer. Just remember that the surface water temps rarely get above 77F, so you still may need 5-7mm or a drysuit even at that time of the year.

ScubaJunkie

Toby is a great dive town. You should see it in October, though. EVERYTHING is closed, even Peacock's (the Supermarket). And if you want to dive you have to call the one of the 2 diveshops & see if you can get airfills. No boats at that time of the year of course, so you wind up doing all shore dives. Still fun though! :)

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom