Diving near Seattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

setohw

Reaction score
I might be getting the chance to go up to the San Juan Islands in Washington state for a month of fieldwork, and I was wondering if there is any diving (good or bad) in this area or the Seattle area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

setohw...

Whibey Island has a few good spots. Keystone jetty is a preserved marine area so it has a wall that there is alot to look at. Twards the end of the jetty is home to a 6-8ft octopus. Look at your tide tables before going though...the water was ripping hard last weekend. San Juan has great dive sights...there are some wreck dives up there. I believe that there is ferry boat that you can dive that sits in about 60-70 ft of water in the San Juans. Good luck and try looking online for dive sights in the San Juans.

Dive Safe...

Aardal
:peace:

For shore diving my favorite was Octopus Hole. I can't remember the name of the underwater park right in seattle but it was good. I just thought Octopus Hole had more to see and much easier swim to the dive site.

There is an excellent shop in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island called: Emerald Seas

I've dived with twice, once when I was in Seattle for a job interview and managed to drive up for the weekend and once when I went up with my girlfriend on the 4th of July Weekend.

They're an amazing operation - both times I called the shop with vague plans of when I could be there and Kimberly (the shop manager) helped me plan my trip (which ferry to take to the Island, when to leave Seattle to get there on time, where to stay on the island, and other fun things to do while I was there). They've got a really nice boat that'll fit six divers, but they'll go out for as few as two.

Besides, the San Juan Islands, there's quite a bit of good diving in the Seattle area. I spent a summer there and dove
Mukilteo, Alki Beach, and Edmonds Underwater Park. If you're in the area, I highly recommend also driving up to Vancouver and doing some of the wreck diving there.

Edmonds Underwater park, that's the one I was trying to remember. It's a long swim but a pretty good dive. Lots of big ling to see. I never got a chance to boat dive up there but I heard it was awesome.

As it was already said, Keystone Jetty is a great dive. (Now, I am however relying on my father for this one. I don't have my sert. yet, but I'm working on it.) Seems that everyone that dives there enjoys it. Also, for a sometimes fun dive, try Alki Beach in Seattle, a fun dive, but very popular as well. :)

Kayla:)

Find a copy of Northwest Shore Dives-- I think it is back in publication.

Some of my favorites are:
Sunrise Beach Park-- Tides Tavern afterwards
Titlow -- Beach Tavern afterwards
Boat Anywhere-- Reach in cooler afterwards
Keystone -- too damn far home for a tavern afterwards
Redondo -- Yardarm Pub afterwards
Three Tree-- any trashy tavern in burien afterwards

If you look at the date this was posted, you will see what I mean. This is an old post from a year ago that was dug up. The person's last post was in May of 2001.

Later, Hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom