Empress on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I have been looking into diving the Empress of Ireland and have found some very nice options for charters and liveaboards but at prices well beyond what I had in mind.

Is there a way to do the dive(s) for less? As in, drive up there, find a local motel then charter a boat (or find a local charter) that does day trips to the wreck?

I understand that the dives would be weather/water permitting and that is why I don not want to commit the $2600 on something that is not a certainty, but instead take my chances on a daily basis and try to get out to the wreck each day.

Also, if there main attraction is off limits, are there any other wrecks/dive sites worth doing in that neck of the woods?

So in short, could I be able to make the drive from TO, stay at a local motel/hotel for the duration and get out on the water on a daily basis (if no dive on the empress that day, to do local sites or land based activities) as opposed to committing to a full operation and hope that my money won't go to waste?

Any local shops/charters you guys can recommend for such a trip?

Yes, you can. But you need to book well in advance to get your pick of dates. I've dived there with both Dany St-Cyr and Jean-Pierre Boullion, both excellent charters but different experiences. There are reasonably priced B&B and motel options right around Rimouski. Ste-Luce is handy to both areas where these guys launch & has a good motel (http://www.quebecweb.com/hotellenavigateur/evillegiature.html ).

Dany also runs a B&B, offers gas mixing, and can be hired to give a tour on the Empress. You would want to book them for several days as the chances of getting blown out are pretty good. I visited Les Escoumins one day there, but also needs to be planned in advance as the ferry needs a reservation. I don't know of anything else handy to dive if blown out, which is rather a bummer as not much else to do there.

For Dany:
info@sportstcyr.com
www.sportstcyr.com

For Jean-Pierre:
jpbouil@cgocable.ca

I should add a note. These guys don't have scheduled charters that you can book on to, you actually book them for your own charter.

If you end up doing this dive, can you give us a trip report? Would love to hear something current about this wreck.

Store your stuff in your car and just do some camping.
Eat stuff youll buy at the grocerie store and put the money on a charter
its alway cheaper this way. You save about 500$ and dive in nice conditions.

I did that on my diving cert. To hell with their hotels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom