Oceanic Voluntary Recall: Versa Pro revision 2A Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

Contributor
Reaction score
San Leandro, California (just south of Oakland)
Oceanic Worldwide Announces Voluntary Recall of Versa Pro revision 2A Dive Computers

May 3, 2006 – San Leandro, CA – In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Oceanic Worldwide of San Leandro, California, is voluntarily recalling Oceanic Versa Pro revision 2A Digital Dive Computers. While operating in the User Selected Digital Gauge Mode, displayed Elapsed Dive Time can be in excess of actual elapsed time.

Oceanic has received a report of two Versa Pro revision 2A units that experienced the offset time displayed while operating in User Selected Digital Gauge Mode. No injuries have been reported.

Oceanic Versa Pro 2A Dive Computers subject to the recall are only the revision 2A units which have serial numbers 12000 through 18176 which is located on the side of the module and can be viewed if after the front button is depressed to activate the unit, it is held depressed until the Diagnostic Mode screen completes its countdown and the Serial Number screen appears displaying the module’s SN and software firmware revision (r2A). The unit will shut Off when released.

Authorized Oceanic dealers sold Versa Pro 2A modules, that were manufactured between March 21, 2003, and February 7, 2005, in wrist and console mount configuration during March 2003 through April 2006 for between $429 to $639, depending on the configuration with other instruments.

Consumers should immediately discontinue further use of Versa Pro 2A Dive Computers for User Selected Digital Gauge Mode operation (as a Depth Gauge/Timer) and take it to any Authorized Oceanic Dealer, or return it directly to the factory for an Upgrade to Versa Pro revision 2B. To locate an Authorized Oceanic Dealer closest to you, or instructions for returns direct to the factory, visit Oceanic’s web site at www.OceanicWorldwide.com.

Should you have any questions, please contact our toll free Recall Helpline at (888) 854-4960 or locally at (510) 562-0500 between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday Pacific Time.

Here is how to determine if you have revision 2A

To determine if a Versa Pro module is revision r2A, depress
the Front button to activate the unit and hold the button
depressed as the Diagnostic countdown reaches 00, then
the Serial Number appears displaying the SN and firmware
code revision number (r2A). Ensure that you note the code
before releasing the button. Upon release of the button, the
unit will shut Off and can be reactivated.
NOTE: Releasing the button before the SN screen appears
will activate Surface Mode and the SN will be bypassed
and not be available until the unit shuts Off after 2 hours and
the proceedure is repeated.
Modules that have been upgraded from r2A to r2B also will
have a White number 2 stamped on the Battery Cover.
If the code is anything except r2A, the module is
not affected and does not require Upgrade.

Yep, both of them. As luck would have it, the serial numbers are only 2 digits apart. I never use them in guage mode, but they'll get sent in anyway.

I've followed the directions of Cerich, but the computer goes blank. I've held the button down after it has gone blank and after a minute or two the diagnostic test starts again and neither the SN or software revision comes up. This happened on both my wife's computer and on mine. Any suggestions?

Doug,

Does Oceanic intend to notify the registered owners of the Versa Pro?

Also, does this apply also to the very similar Aeris Atmos 2 ?

Thanks,

Wristshot

diving_emtp:
I've followed the directions of Cerich, but the computer goes blank. I've held the button down after it has gone blank and after a minute or two the diagnostic test starts again and neither the SN or software revision comes up. This happened on both my wife's computer and on mine. Any suggestions?

The following are specific instructions from the Quality Alert document and consumer notification to identify affected Versa Pro revision 2A Dive Computers.

Oceanic Versa Pro 2A Dive Computers subject to the recall are only the revision 2A units which have serial numbers 12000 through 18176 which is located on the side of the module and can be viewed if after the front button is depressed to activate the unit, it is held depressed until the Diagnostic Mode screen completes its countdown and the Serial Number screen appears displaying the module's SN and software firmware revision (r2A). The unit will shut Off when released.

Note; Versa Pro Rev. 1, will not display this screen, and can be
identified by having a yellow side button. These units are not effected.

Wristshot:
Doug,

Does Oceanic intend to notify the registered owners of the Versa Pro?

Also, does this apply also to the very similar Aeris Atmos 2 ?

Thanks,

Wristshot

It's Chris, not Doug but i'll give it a shot.

We are contacting all registered owners in our database. There are many who have not registered with us andsome who did may have moved. This is a comprehensive effort to get all affected units returned and replaced.

No, it does not affect the Atmos2.

Best,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom