My Oceanic VT Pro is reading the temperature too high

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week I purchased my new Oceanic VT Pro and took it out. I looked at the computer and was surprised to see it was reading 78 degrees F. I knew the water was not that warm, as it was chilly when I got in. I checked with my buddies, and sure enough, they had 72 degrees F. At home I check the ambient temp against the thermostat readings and sure enough, the computer stated 80 degrees F when the temperature was 74 degrees F in the house.

Is this a known issue with the VT Pro? Is there a way to calibrate it? Do I just have to do the math every time I look at the computer? Is this an indication that my computer might have a quality issue?

I believe it is a known issue with temp output from dive computers in general. They are not known to be terribly accurate. Try it in some ice water to confirm the constant 6 degree error over the useful range and you should be good to go.

I think it's just that a lot of dive computers aren't that accurate when it comes to temp readings. I went diving with 7 friends last weekend and most of us were diving with 2 computers. I don't think any of the computers reported the same temp.

There is quite a bit of temperature variation when it comes to dive computers - the sensor is inside a water-tight housing, so at the very least they all take some time to acclimate. Off the top of my head, the acceptable variance is +/- 3 degrees - so if you're comparing two units, they could be off by as much as 6 degree and be acceptable. Feel free to contact our service department at service@oceanicusa.com or (800) 435-3483 - I am sure that they will be glad to service and calibrate it for you.

Doug

Thanks for the response Doug! I will give them a call. Is there a service menu? Or will it have to be shipped in?

If you bought it locally in the last 30 days just trade it out at your LDS, they will send it to us and we will send a new unit out to them. It will save you some postage and time.

What is the spec +/- for depth readings on an Oceanic Veo 200?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom