Equipment for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alan_lee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While I've got my basic stuff like mask, snorkel and fins, I'm planning my budget and putting money aside for my BC and regulator. I'm basically gonna be diving in the tropical waters of the SE Asia region and unlikely to be doing technical dives, so I reckon I'm not gonna be needing fancy regulators.

Basically, money is an issue, so getting value for money is important for me. I've heard advice that I should look at what dive centres have cos chances are, they've got the affordable stuff that are durable enough to take the daily punishment. What's your take on that view?

Secondly, which do you think should I buy first: a BC or a regulator? I know BCs are something very personal, where you'd know where you've kept what stuff in which pocket, and that can be critical. However, I'm a bit of a germ-phobe and I don't quite fancy the idea of sticking a demand valve which has been used by so many other people, so the idea of getting a reg first appeals to me.

Cheerios! :D

After twice renting a regulator where the laster user was a smoker, I went for the regulator first. Try out different types and styles of BCs so you don't regret your decision six months later. I went with a backplate and wing because it reduced how much weight I used on a weight belt and it's modular.

I'd go with the regulator first.

A couple of years ago, in a rush to make it to the airport I left my regulator sitting on my table next to the front door. Ended up having to rent a reg and a bc at the dive site (was still renting a bc at the time).

While the bc was nothing special it worked just fine. However, I will never rent a regulator again if I can avoid it. I shouldn't have to work to breathe. A good reg that you purchase will probably be better than anything in the dive shop rental supply.

Since you are in south east asia, perhaps tusa for an inexpensive recreational regulator brand?

Good luck and happy diving.

alan_lee:
While I've got my basic stuff like mask, snorkel and fins, I'm planning my budget and putting money aside for my BC and regulator.

I didn't see it here, but the first thing I would buy first is a wetsuit. Especially if you're a germ-a-phobe. If you already have one, ignore this paragraph.

Next, I would go for a regulator. Lots of them are so different, and that's the thing you most want to be in top condition. If you rent regs, you might want to bring your own mouthpiece and a few zip-ties.

Then, I would but for a BC.

It's often a good idea to rent for a little while, and then buy regs and a bc (maybe a wetsuit too, depending on your LDS) in a package deal. You can often save quite a bit of $$$ that way, especially if you shop around.

Mike

I"m going to echo everybody else here and say get a reg first. With your own reg you know when it was last serviced what's happened to it, who's used it and what condition it's in. Rental regs are a mystery and gerneraly quite gross. Personally though I would wait a bit and try to save up as much money as I could to purchase a mid-high/high end piece of gear. Scuba gear usualy lasts quite a while (especialy the good stuff) and it's often a little tricky to unload used budget gear so in the end it could save you money. You won't regret it

Actually....my BC and reg came at the same time....
Back then there was not many scuba shops so I bought the bc and reg my instructor used..he was a private instructor with more focus on the education than the sales.

My Bc was mail order and the reg was pruchased locally.

As a private instructor myself that is also (finally) getting a retail outlet going I am wearing what I think is the best...and thankfully,I am also able to sell what I use.

If you are traveling the rule used to be get the reg first but I dive Cozu,el and for the most part the dive opps keep really nice rental gear....

Confused....get a wrist mount Nitrox computer first that can also be used in a console at a later date.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom