BC lift question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Dacor Extreme BC that I bought about '96 or '97 and didn't look at the lift rating when I bought it new for Caribbean diving. The tag that came on it doesn't have the lift printed on it where it says "Surface Bouyance: lb/ Kg
When Fully Inflated in Fresh Water at Sea Level"

Is it in the 22-28 lb. range? I've e-mailed Dacor with no response.

Thanks

1. weigh BC "empty."
2. Fill BC bladder with water.
3. Weigh BC "full."
4. Subtract weight empty from weight full.
5. Result is buoyancy in fresh water.
6. Result x 64.2\62.4 is buoyancy in salt water.

For a more exact buoyancy measurement you also need to weigh the "full" BC submerged in water to null the natural Buoyancy of the BC. That should only be a few ounces and can be considered "noise" for most commercial plastic BCs. This "it's down in the noise" deal does not hold for weight integrated BCs or backplate rigs though.

FT

We are talking about buoyancyof the unit. The normal "plastics" used to make diving gear all have a specific gravity near 1 to about 1.8, so out of water weight doesn't figure into the calculation much.

Any BC will have the net buoyancy of the unit decreased by the amount of negative buoyancy the unit provides empty. On a BP or integrated weight BC while the "swing" compensation is there up to the weight of water added to the bladder the net lift is reduced by the negative buoyancy of the unit.

FT

"I didn't know that." :D

That will be a quick way of getting a general idea the next time I rinse it (hope I don't ruin the extremely accurate, down to the gram, bathroom scales I have.)

This is scary, I actually understand what Fred is talking about.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom