going on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
justleesa:
Have you ever been to Greece before? I was there once (BC=Before certification :D)...it was beautiful. The people, the history, the scenery, the food...we didn't want to go home. Have fun!

Nope, this will be the first time. Greece was always on my list of "must sees" - so when I started planning a trip to see Paris and London again, I figured I'd throw Greece in since I was flying all that way anyway.

This June 10 GTG sounds fun . . . wish I could make it.

You'll love it Cheryl! when I went to the ruins in Greece (and the ones in Turkey)...to stand on a spot that someone stood over 2000 years ago...makes you feel really small.

Bring back Postcards/pictures and a bottle of Samos Brandy please :D...:wink:

justleesa:
You'll love it Cheryl! when I went to the ruins in Greece (and the ones in Turkey)...to stand on a spot that someone stood over 2000 years ago...makes you feel really small.

Bring back Postcards/pictures and a bottle of Samos Brandy please :D...:wink:

Turkey is next on my "must see" list. Well, either Turkey or Egypt, just depending on how things work out. Hopefully sometime in the next few years.

Where can you get Samos Brandy - only on Samos? I'll be visiting only Athens, Delphi and Crete.

Egypt...you have to do the nile cruise!! and go to Ciaro...must must must...can't wait to go back there some day :D

I would guess you get it everywhere in Greece, like Ouzo...our neighbors used to go every year...they discovered it when they went to Samos...nice and smooth. Enjoy a glass for us!!

justleesa:
Egypt...you have to do the nile cruise!! and go to Ciaro...must must must...can't wait to go back there some day :D

I would guess you get it everywhere in Greece, like Ouzo...our neighbors used to go every year...they discovered it when they went to Samos...nice and smooth. Enjoy a glass for us!!

Too many places to see, not enough money!

Ouzo - that's the one that's anise flavored, right - and you add water to it? Anise - that's the one that tastes like licorice? Yech - can't stand licorice, so I guess I'll pass on that.

Retsina - I think I've read that's the one that has a hint of pine resin in it. Not sure if that sounds like a good thing. You ever tried retsina?

Now, brandy I can do. I'll have to look for that.

Ouzo - that's the one that's anise flavored, right - and you add water to it? Anise - that's the one that tastes like licorice? Yech - can't stand licorice, so I guess I'll pass on that.

yup, that's the one (better than Pernod though)...before you go you have to watch "my big fat Greek wedding" again :wink:....lol

never tried Retsina...and by the way it sounds I don't think I'm missing anything.

If I remember right you can drink it like a sherry after dinner....:wink:

Retsina is an acquired taste. When I did Greece right after college, (1973) you could take an empty bottle to a wine shop and get it filled for 15 cents. At that price it was an easy taste to acquire!! I still order it when I dine at greek restaurants here.

Well Cheryl...getting down to the nitty gritty...how many more hours to go?

Have a great time :D

Greece is very cool. I've been to Athens, Olympia and Santorini. Leesa is right, the ruins are beyond belief.

Are you diving on this trip?

Cheryl, have a wonderful time. I admire you for organizing this big trip and living the disciplined way necesary for planning and paying for such a big trip.---and taking your daughter! She will remember this forever. Kudos to you for making time for family memories.

Have a ball...we will be thinking of you. Bon Voyage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom