Digital equivalent to Nikonos V?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a digital camera capable of high quality pictures, macro and scenery, capable of depth and configuation with one or more strobes but don't understand that jargons. Dive shops don't seem very qualified in this area.

What is an optimal mixel standard? When does quality overtax memory? What kind of memory set up works best? Is there a resource to explain this well enough to help?

Thanks!

are you shooting for publication? for your personal enjoyment? etc.

The high end would be with an SLR type digital like a Nikon D1x or D100. There are other slr types... but nikon seems to have the most selection for housings. With this system you have a body (digital) and use whatever lens suits your needs.... macro, wide, etc. Add a ttl strobe and an arm to hold the strobe (or strobes).

The low/medium end would be any digital camera that has a good selection of housings/accessories. I think you'd be happy with anything 3megapixels and up for home use (printing up to 8x10). Olympus has a big following... I'll let someone else describe that one. I have a nikon 995 that works well. The olympus is smaller if you use the olympus housing.

For a good source of info on digital cameras look Here

For some good ideas of housing systems check here

Personal enjoyment not publication, but I'd prefer more flexibility quality to a starter camera. Most of the LDS's I deal with only sell low cost starter digitials.

I've only used the Nikonos but learned how to use it from a professional underwater photographer. I was leaning to the MMII, but do most of my diving on travel and I am leaning toward a more compact digital rig.

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
I'm looking for a digital camera capable of high quality pictures, macro and scenery, capable of depth and configuation with one or more strobes but don't understand that jargons. Dive shops don't seem very qualified in this area.

What is an optimal mixel standard? When does quality overtax memory? What kind of memory set up works best? Is there a resource to explain this well enough to help?

Thanks!

First let me say that IMHO, there is not, and never will be, a digital equivalent to the Nikonos V. The Nikonos V was the best available UW photo system available to divers for many many years. Digital, like most consumer electronics, change too quickly for anything to become a standard. The best you can hope for is to get something that will suit your needs and continue to do so for at least a few years. Keeping this in mind, just like computer products, I recommend buying the best that is currently available, and that you can afford. That way it doesn't become obsolete before you even get it home. If I was in the market for a (non SLR) digital camera and housing, my nickel would get put down on the Nikon CP 5000 and an Aquatica Housing. This is a very powerful and compact system. My wife has the CP-995 and the Aquatica housing and I would not hesitate to recommend it, except that the CP 995 is already outdated, and the CP 5000 and the Aquatica housing are even better. Here are a couple of links to some sites with info on the Aquatica and other digital camera/housing set ups.

http://www.aquatica.ca/contents.html

http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=camera&mID=25&pID=64

www.wetpixel.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom