Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trixxie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Pro's ~ Con's
Is this a 'must have' item or is it being too redundant?
Thoughts? Suggestions?
043030_big.jpg

Thanks

Does it come in any other colors?

I think your signature line shows that Hal Watts gave you the answer. Seems that we may have seen this bait before.

waste of $$$
If you are planning on diving solo or want to carry a redundent air source.
Buy something with enough air in it to bailout on, taking into account your RMV/SAC under stress!!

Cheers
Chris

My opinion is the same as Sydney Diver's. Get yourself a pony. Preferrably a 30 or a 40.

A Spare Air has its uses but it is like equipping your car with a can of fix-a-flat rather than a spare tire. Sometimes it might do the job, but other time it will leave you SOL. A pony bottle is probably a better solution to redundant gas supply and can be sized to your specific needs.

Spare Air is better than no air ---- unless it encourages you to get stupid.

Thanks everyone ~ that is what I figured.

Just wanted some other opinions.

El Orans:
Yet you posted to it :)

I've used them a few times, mostly in a cavern that I'm not going very deep into or under a kelp canopy. While a 19 30 or 40 might give you lots of extra air you don't always need that much air to get out of trouble. I breathe fairly well and at 50 feet I"ll have plenty of air to get to the surface without the need to ditch weights.

On the other hand I've never needed it. It's not a waste but it isn't always necessary either.

J75:
My opinion is the same as Sydney Diver's. Get yourself a pony. Preferrably a 30 or a 40.

30 or 40 Bahhhhh thats not enough gas !!
I dont think you can ever have enough gas, or be too redundant :D

sm5.JPG

Cheers
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom