Best Vis in Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Wetman!
Going up to Brockville in a couple weeks (5 hours away:( ). But anywhere from Kingston to Cornwall, the vis is great. Some divers may complain....but I LOVE those Zebras:D :D :D GD

wetman once bubbled...
Where is it? I've been spoiled by brockville and under the thermocline at kingston. Where else is it that nice? (or even half that nice)

steve

We're very lucky with the viz in the St L & Lake Ontario. I'm always amazed when diver friends claim that a 5ft viz is superior! (that's what we get on a real bad day)

Why I member divin up in Brockville in the early 70's, when 15 ft vis was a good day, and 5-10 was typical. The Gaskin had just been found by Deb Ring, and the cook stove was still on it.

There twern't no anchor chain to follow down to the Lilly Parsons,
and she was still full of coal she was carrying. We had to hand over hand on the rocks to get down to her stern.

There were still port holes on the Daryaw.

We had this here new invention, called a Sea-Vu gauge. It attached to yer regulator (If'n ya had a single hose reg that is).
Ya didn't have to rely on yer J valve to tell when you were runin low on air.

BC's had just been invented, and I mean HORSE collars, not them new fangled back mounted thing-a majigs we have now.

Octopuses were still 8 armed cepholapods,
and we all were taught to buddy breath.

O'course divin was new back then!
We'd all drive for 6-7 hrs from Brockville to Toby on long week ends to get 30-50 ft of visibility.
Get off work pack, drive 7 hrs, arrive Toby midnight.
Dive saturday, morning, afternoon, and night.
Dive Sunday, morning , afternoon, drink beer til late at night
Dive Monday morning, Drive home Monday afternoon,
Collapse Monday night

Along comes the Zebra mussle: My how things have changed!
and for the better I might add.

Mike D

:blfish:

How many of you get a sick and twisted joy out of diveing in 3 foot vis present in many of our lakes/rivers?

Why have'nt the Zebra Mussels moved over to the Ottawa river? Maybe someone needs to help them along. How long would it take before they cleaned up the Ottawa? There must be some good spots to visit there!!

I don't think zebra muscles like the tannin (sp?) which makes all of our lakes black.

But then thats just an (un)SWAG.

Back
Top Bottom