suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but after scanning the archives I'd still like to ask for verification...

I'm a new, enthused diver and am looking forward to outfitting myself. I'm not yet clear on whether I should get a simple pressure gauge (are they called analogue?) and then wear a wrist computer, or if I should simply get a computer console.

I guess both options have have their pros and cons?

I was considering the wrist computer mainly because of reading about the unreliability of computers, and how they may suddenly die on you. Because I'm going to Indonesia for the month of June, it could be quite difficult to fix a computer there.

Also, money is a bit of an issue. How inexpensive do you reckon I could go without being self defeating?

Thanks so much!
Pamela:wink:

the only advise I'll give you is that one train of thought is much much more vocal on this message board, which may not reflect what is more common out there in the water, or what may be better for you.

In the end, it's gonna be which suits you better, so consider the arguments and your situation and not just the conclusions.

I personally have a wrist mounted computer, an spg, and a back up $30 seiko ironman (or G shock I think) straped to my inflator. Everyone always says "plan your dive, dive your plan" This is a great mantra, however its kinda hard to plan a dive if you've never been there. Sure you can look at the tables and make plans for a given depth, +/- 10 feet, but if you have no idea what your first, second, or third dive is going to be... assuming that you are only doing recreational dives I would suggest a computer. Especially if you are planning on a lot of diving when you are in Indonesia. If you are as enthusiastic as you say and want to be a really good diver, make plans for your first dive from 40-80 (maybe just take the entire table with you), note your SIT and then write down the plan for your next dive. Do this all week and dont forget to double check your overnight SIT (you may not go back to an "A" diver) rely on your brains but use your computer as a backup. I personally have a wrist mounted computer that tells me my NDL but does not tell me how much air I have left, for that task I rely on a good old fasioned SPG. I keep it clipped to my left side hip Dring. With a small gauge close to my hip, and a watch on my wrist (albiet large watch) I am pretty streamlined and I dont have something the size of a brick dragging the bottom of the sea. Ah the backup cheapo watch on my inflator I mentioned, When I get ready to sumberge I lift up my inflator, when I am about to hit the button to dump air, I push the start button on my stop watch. My computer set to conservative runs just about dead even as diving tables. This way my computer and tables should match all the time and I have a simple backup.

I'm assuming you are referring to air integrated dive computers. Whether you decide on an air integrated computer or not, still invest in a standard mechanical type pressure guage for the following reasons:
In the event the air integrated computer fails (more likely in hoseless but what I use).
When setting up your gear, you always have pressure guage attached to validate pressure.

opalobsidian:
I guess both options have have their pros and cons?
...........snip...........

Also, money is a bit of an issue. How inexpensive do you reckon I could go without being self defeating?

Thanks so much!
Pamela:wink:
Hi Pamela! Yes, pros and cons.........and more than two options.........and loads of opinions! :D

Personaly, I use an Atmos2 wrist model. Nitrox compatible and you can download your dive profiles on PC. (extra money for the cable n software)

My SPG (submersible pressure guage) has depth guage and compass. I could dive without using a computer. With an UW timer or watch and use of the tables. You need to learn how to use this method so as not to rely soley on computer.

But they are nice to have and they store the dive profile info for you. They generally add to your bottom time because you get 'credit' for changes in your depth. When using tables, you use the time limit given for your max depth. (as if your whole dive were at that max depth)

I love my Atmos2, but there are several good brands. Most are not cheap. You might find a fairly basic wrist model (not for enriched air) for less than $100. Self defeating?-maybe. Plan on spending $200 or $300 for something a li'l better. (NOTE: I haven't priced them lately, but I don't think I'm too far off.) Or much more for all the bells and whistles. I don't usually buy top of the line stuff because I can't afford it either. Scuba is an expensive sport. Best advice I can give is; don't rush into any of your equipment puchases! It pays to shop around!

Looking at the wording of your post, it occurs to me that you might be mixing a couple of functions together. Both wrist mounted and console mounted computers can be air-integrated or non air-integrated. The former is generally quite a bit more expensive than the latter, and a wrist mounted air-integrated computer is more expensive than a console mounted computer.

You stated that you are "considering the wrist computer mainly because of reading about the unreliability of computers" but I'm not familiar with any reports of one type being any more or less reliable than the other type. I have read some about particular models, but not type in general. The caveat to wrist mounted air integrated computers is that if your body gets between the tank mounted transmitter and the computer, the two parts lose contact with each other.

It's good that you're addressing the reliability issue. Many divers put their complete faith in computers, and I vehemently disagree with that philosophy. Some divers dive with two computers. As previously mentioned, at the very least you should have a watch or bottom timer and something to record your max depth. If you get an air integrated computer, you should ideally have a backup analog pressure gauge.

Although I love my air integrated computer, since cost is an issue I would recommend that you go with a non air-integrated computer and an analog SPG. I would strongly recommend that you get a computer that can handle enriched air - even if you don't plan on ever diving on it, the computer is a little easier to sell if you ever decide to get a fancier one.

Personally I prefer console mounted computer because my compass is in the same console. You can get a wrist mounted compass, but it seems to me that a console mounted compass is easier to navigate with than wrist mount - but I admit that I've never actually used a wrist mounted compass. Many divers swear by their wrist mounted versions of both instruments, and if someone wants to tell me I'm dead wrong about ease of navigation, that's cool - but I ain't switchin! :D

My suggestion is to get some good diving experience under your belt with the basics that you have learned with during your training, then you can start to think about what type of computers and spg is most suited to your style and preference......

I know that what I first thought about buying at the beginning, is different to what I know own and use on a regular basis. I held off making any major purchases until I had done some different diving. I now prefer wrist top comps over the console mounted and would always reccommend having an analogue spg on every dive.

Cheers
Dale

I dive with an Aeris AI console computer. It is air integrated and it made more sense to me to go air integrated than have an SPG and computer. One way or another I'd have to have the hose, and I'd rather have all my data in one place. I feel that by having everything in one place, there's less task loading as you don't have to remember to look at your wrist, then your guage/console to see your air consumption. You also don't have to calculate your dive time remaining, as you computer will do that for you.

I absolutely agree that you should never leave your brain at the dock and mindlessly rely on a computer, however, I find the information my computer gives me to be invaluable before, during, and after the dive. I always download my dives and spend some time studying the data.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Being a newbie, I have yet more questions..

1) why would you download your dives onto a computer?

2) How would I test out new equipment while diving if I don't buy it first? I'm a vacation diver, and the ops I've dived with have had barebones equipment for rent, and barely a wetsuit or fins!

I don't need anyone to tell me I'm not well trained; I know my training was slipshod and cheap, but I'm trying to educate myself now. Thanks for all your help!!!!

Love ya!
Pamela

I usually dive with my own gear which includes a console that has a depth gage, a analog spg and the spg has a built in digital depth with a bottom timer. The console also has a compass. I use a wrist mount Cochran Commander and a Cyber Aqualand NX. If I am not in cold water conditions (i.e. a dive skin or a 3mm) I just use the Cyber Aqualand as it is my primary computer, when I am in cold water (7mm semi-dry) I use both the Cochran on the wrist and the Cyber straped to the BCD inflator (it won't fit on my wrist in a 7mm). I also check the charts and am aware of chart bottom time for my projected max depth.
I have seen computers "freeze up" or go blank if the battery is near EOL and the water is cold, other than that I have not seen any dive computer problems. That is why I have at least one backup.

I used a Mares Genius air integrated for a while but the strobe on my camera interferred with the transmitter and caused intermittent sync alarms which were very annoying. Finally I decided it wasn't worth the aggrevation and the Mares wouldn't do Nitrox so I sold it and got the Cochran and CYber.

I bought them on Ebay, got the Cochran for less than $200, the Cyber essentailly new in the box for $350. (I was able to register it as new). The biggest thing to watch for is:

1. Get a user changeable battery or rechargeable
2. Get the features you need for example, Nitrox capable
3. Have a backup!
4. Make sure you can read it!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom