suunto cobra or oceanic pro plus 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattwood2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
sorry if this is a repeat but i am new to this. i like both of these computers and was wondering how others felt, pros and cons. thanks.

I can't say anything pro or con about the Oceanic unit, but I like my Cobra. Most agree that the software is a bit clunky, but it is not a liability in my opinion. The only real con about about the Cobra is the lack of thorough temperature data (it only records initial, max depth, and final). Everything else about it is stellar, though.

Ed

I agree with Ed. No pros or cons with the Oceanic, but I have had my Cobra for over four years and find it to be a great piece of equipment. Some complain about the conservative settings, but I like to dive safe.

For what it's worth.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave Zimmerly:
I agree with Ed. No pros or cons with the Oceanic, but I have had my Cobra for over four years and find it to be a great piece of equipment. Some complain about the conservative settings, but I like to dive safe.

For what it's worth.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

can someone please explain a little futher about the consertive settings? :huh:

Suunto's algorithm is mostly their own flavor of the RGBM model. It tends to run on the conservative side. If you compare the NDL times it gives you for certain depths you will see shorter times than most computers or even the Navy tables.

Having said that if you are just starting to dive a conservative computer is not a problem. MOST new divers are limited by air limits and not by NDL limits when they start unless they have phenomenal air consumption.

I dive Suuntos all the time and love them.

Cheers.

-Jens-

I have had a Pro Plus2 for 2 years. I have nothing but good things to say about the PDC itself. New dive log download PC software is still being debugged by Oceanic. Search threads for "Oceanlog" for more info. I like the big display. Easy programming. Suggest you get the quick-disconect for convenience and storage. Can't speak much about the Cobra. The demo I saw of the Cobra indcated a better dive simulation mode than Pro Plus 2.

Cobra is way way too conservative for me and their software is horrible. I've never owned one but I dove with one. Go with Oceanic or Uwatec.

I've used an earlier version of the Oceanic. It is a very good computer. Easy to use, large display, easy to read underwater. The data download is not as detailed as some computers, such as Uwatec, but it is good. I have not used the Suunto, but my buddy on my last trip got locked out by his Suunto because it was so conservative and the divemasters always referred to the differences between Suunto's algorithm and everything else. If you do get locked out on the Suunto, you are out of the water for 48 hours, not the 24 hours most computers lock you out. More conservative can mean safer, but it looks to me like the Suunto is a little extreme. Personally, I prefer a computer that allows more freedom and then I plan and manage my dives to be more conservative than the computer allows. I also tend to dive nitrox on an air setting as an additional safety measure. You will want to consider those sorts of things as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom