Moulton Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can any one verify that Moulton quarry will be open to the public on the 20th of May. Also is there anyone heading out there to dive over that weekend?

Hey boomer,

Skybird told me that they aren't opening it until June at the last SEAS meeting. (or at least I think that's what she said.)

before driving over, give Kevin or Anthony a call first.
Kevin Behel 256-366-2570 and Anthony McGee at MCGEEA8 256-648-9147

When I last talked with Kevin he said probably mid may. I am going to be talking to Kevin this week and will ask, but you might give him a call or email.
Skybird

I just spoke with kevin and he told me that the quarry will not be opening until June 1st.

Don't guess I have ever heard of this quarry. where is it? what is the diving like there? Conditions? Depth? I kind of enjoy diving quarries and might consider stopping by out there if I am ever out that way. Being a military guy, I might find myself stationed close.

Moulton quarry is just a few miles west of moulton al. The maximum depth is about 65' It is a fairly small quarry. It has bass, bream and catfish and one overgrown goldfish. There are several boats of various sizes. a trailways bus, a computer and desk ( I haven't found that one yet) a toilet ( HEY fish have needs too) a small tunnel and a large tunnel. The people who run it are great....just good people who love the sport. Until last weekend it was the only place I have dived, so it is "home' to me.

I am terrible with directions but Im sure if you wanted to go someone else, such as Mike could give you directions ( mine would just confuse you)

Skybird

Here is something I wrote up for a basic set of information about the place last year. They don't have any "web pressence" yet. BTW... they won't open until June this year. They were also open last year until November.

Hope this helps. -Mike

Moulton Quarry:
The Moulton Quarry is operated by "The Dive Station", which will operate its store in the Center Star / Killen area of Alabama on Hwy 72. The quarry though is located about 5 miles west of Moulton off "Old Hwy 24". As of November 2005, their store hasn't opened yet. Check with operators at below contact info on when store will be open.

The Moulton Quarry is open again during the 2005 season for the first time in many years. It's a small to medium sized quarry that is about 3 acres in size and has two basic levels/depths. The upper quarry basin depth ranges from 15 feet to around 35 feet. The lower basin depth is around 50 feet to 65+ feet, depending on the water level. Visibility can change based on season and water conditions, but can easily reach 30-35 feet of visibility or greater. The quarry has two thermo-clines during the warmer months when surface temps reach into the 80's and just one thermo-cline during the cooler months. Bottom temps in the deeper end of the quarry never get much above the 50's though, even during the summer. With its shallow upper basin and great visibility, it is an excellent local open water training location. For those willing to get a little "chilly," the colder deeper basin has great diving to offer also. The people operating the quarry, Kevin and Tony, were also extremely helpful and very friendly.

Fees: $15 entry fee.
Air Fills: Air compressor, tank rentals, and partial pressure Nitrox mixing onsite. Bringing your own tanks is suggested though.
Rental Gear: Rental gear is available, but suggest calling first to verify in case they have a class, etc. using the available gear.
Water Temp: COLD. Two thermo-clines in the summer months and one in the spring/fall. Bottom temps in the 50's or below in lower basin.
Depths: 15 to 35 feet in the upper basin and 50 to 60 feet in the lower basin. Deepest point in quarry is 65-70 feet, depending on water level.
Items sunk: Two 20-25' sailboats, several ski boats, small dive training platforms, Greyhound type bus, large drainage pipes for swim thru's, a few large tanks/silos, etc. All items are marked with a floating buoy.
Facilities: One dock, sloped shore entry, a couple picnic tables under a small shed. Bathroom facilities are a chemical "porta-potty", but it was very clean.

According to the operators, 2006 plans include putting in a "sand beach" on the sloped entry into the water. (it's now gravel). If you need drinking water, it's suggested you take it with you.

Nearest "Full service Dive Shops" in area:
Dive Sports in Decatur, AL (approximately 27 miles away). http://www.divesports.com
SDI in Huntsville (approx 52 miles) http://www.sdiscuba.com (Note: SDI in Florence is closed)
Dive Station (when opened) in Killen, AL (approx 37 miles)

Directions:
GPS Coordinates: 34.453351, -87.383881

Google Maps Link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=moulton,+al&ll=34.453351,-87.383881&spn=0.044241,0.082436&t=h&hl=en

Operated by: The Dive Station
Kevin Behel kbmedic71@msn.com or 256-366-2570 and Anthony McGee at MCGEEA8@aol.com or 256-648-9147

Operation Times: April through October on Saturdays and Sundays (after 1pm). Other times/dates can be arranged. Suggest always calling beforehand to verify they are open the weekend you want to attend.

Directions: (From Moulton, AL)
1.) Take HWY 24 West from Moulton.
2.) Turn Left (South) on CR-121
3.) After 1 block, veer Right (West) on "Old AL-24"
4.) Turn Left (South) on CR-7. Look for sign for Moulton Rock Quarry (rock/gravel company sign, not "Dive" quarry sign).
5.) Go to end of CR-7 where rock/gravel company plant is located. Before entering plant, turn Right (West) on CR-102. There is no sign for CR-102, but it is the last road before you enter the gravel plant.
6.) Take CR-102 gravel road until you see a "rusted" cattle gate on your left. This is the entrance drive to the quarry. (There is no sign).
7.) Enter through gate and drive will take you to main parking area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom