Anodizing and Powder Coating Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was just curious as to whether any of you have anodized or powder coated your backplates, and why either of these processes would be a good or not so good idea?

A stainless steel or Al backplate shouldn't degrade significantly over its life so a coating shouldn't be required. It is likely that if the coating became scratched then the exposed area would degrade faster than a totally uncoated smooth area.

Would look quite good though. Purple to go with the pink fins and lime green mask or black for the tekkies?

Assuming it's not vaporware (and my guess is that it is), Abysmal has colored backplates:

http://www.abysmal.com/pages/features-backplates.html

As nickjb points out, any kind of coating that's compromised will trap water against the backplate and accelerate corrosion. Same reason you don't want boots and coatings on cylinders.

Roak

I had mine Line-X coated. It has a slightly rough surface so it sits on your back nice. Doesn't get cold or hot like bare metal.

Powder coatings can chip. Anodizing can scratch. My Line-X plate has had a razor knive run accross it with no mark left. I didn't bear down on it with all my weight. Though I did put enough force to see how tough it was. And the guy who sprayed my plate said if I have a problem he'd re spray it. Cost around $15 to have it coated. I'm not sure it might have been $20. I've had it done for a year or two. I had 5 plates done when I got mine done.

It's not really needed but it's nice to have. It also spray's a layer through all holes without filling them. So the straping doesn't chafe on the edge of the steel and since it has texture it doesn't slip either.

It's a really sweet set up. I'm glad I had it done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom