Equalizing and Commercial Diving Helmets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend who has some ear problems which are limiting her ability to persue her dream of diving..

She has no eardrum in one ear, and can only equalize to about 20 feet... other than that she is cleared by her doc's for diving...

Would using a commercial diving helmet make diving accessible.. and probably even safer by reducing chances for infection in her ear? I have never used a helmet so I don't know their functioning...

Thank you all,
Scott

she can only clear to 20 feet?

meaning that's her maximum depth possible?

Yes Andy..... that's as far down as she can go =/

I was under the impression that commercial diving helmets were relatively dry... enabling voice communications.... although I think they are usually positive pressure as well

ah, you're talking about the ones with a full-face mask

i believe some models keep the ears dry (most expensive) and most keep the
ears wet (but you can cover the head and ears with a hood)

ScottB:
Yes.. models like the kirby morgan 17 http://www.kirbymorgan.com/products/sl17B.html

I just read the manual... it has a moveable nose block to allow you to clear... but the fact that its equalizing air against air might help her.... instead of trying to equalize against the more viscous water...

-Scott

I don't think it will make any difference and used KBM 17's generally sell in the $3000 range not sure what a new one is. Not sure I exactly understand why she can't equalize. It is usually caused by plugged or restricted eustachian tubes

Captain,

It could very well be because of narrow & /damage/obstruction to/of the eustachian tubes.. I'm not a doctor... Just trying to think of ideas to help her...

She had/has? a Cholesteatoma...

If that helps you figure it out.

Thank you,
Scott

Could you imagine the stares you'd get going to a tropical dive spot with your Superlite and your Viking hazmat commercial drysuit? :D

The KM's (well, the ones that I've seen) are used with surface supplied air (so they're continuous flow), and the diver carries a bailout bottle just in case the hose gets cut or kinked, so that's out for rec diving. Plus, as captain said, they're REALLY expensive.

I've seen some masks where cups go around the ears, with a channel connecting the mask to the ears in order to keep the water out. I'm sure someone here knows the manufacturer. I haven't tried them, but thought it might be an idea for someone prone to ear infections or ear troubles. Might be something worth looking into.

ScottB:
Captain,

It could very well be because of narrow & /damage/obstruction to/of the eustachian tubes.. I'm not a doctor... Just trying to think of ideas to help her...

She had/has? a Cholesteatoma...

If that helps you figure it out.

Thank you,
Scott

She might try contacting DAN an discuss it with them.

ScottB:
Hello Everyone,

I have a friend who has some ear problems which are limiting her ability to persue her dream of diving..

She has no eardrum in one ear, and can only equalize to about 20 feet... other than that she is cleared by her doc's for diving...

Would using a commercial diving helmet make diving accessible.. and probably even safer by reducing chances for infection in her ear? I have never used a helmet so I don't know their functioning...

Thank you all,
Scott
I don't get it. If there is no ear drum then there is nothing to equalize. There is no pressure difference between the middle ear and outer ear if there is no drum to seperate them so how can there be a 20' limit? Also, I'd be more worried about the vertigo, dizziness or even vomiting caused by cold water entering the middle ear during the dive than a potential infection afterwords. Tell your friend to find a Dr. that has some diving knowledge.
IMO diving is pretty much out of the question. Even if you spend the bucks on the full mask what if there is a problem? As soon as she takes that mask off under water to address the problem the vertigo, dizziness and vomiting begin. Not exactly what is needed during an OOA or other emergency.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom