Quick! Do I want a compass on my console??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello again!

I'm back with yet another urgent newbie question!

I'm just about ready to order a regulator package from scubatoys w/ analogue aeris console and a dandy aeris atmos 2 wrist computer!

So I gotta decide, do I want a compass on that console? Will it make the console into a huge clumsy brick on a string? Does one use a compass very often when one starts to dive recreationally?

Thanks so much!
Pamela:wink:

Most who get a wrist unit also buy the wrist compass. If you want a console then put all three in it. JMHO's. Have fun with the new gear!

Brick on a string. My advice is to go for the wrist compass and then just put the pressure gauge on the hose. No brick since you have the depth gauge in the computer on your wrist.

opalobsidian:
Do I want a compass on that console? Will it make the console into a huge clumsy brick on a string? Does one use a compass very often when one starts to dive recreationally?Pamela:wink:

I use a compass on _every_ dive. How else will you be able to get back to where you started from? Even if the DM on a boat says "The reef is over there" and ponts how would yu know where "there" after yu are underwarer? A compass is basic equipment.

Bigger Question: Do you want a console? Why? The hot setup is a "naked SPG" on a hose. No boot just a heavy duty brass case SPG on the end of a hose. Put the computer on the right wrist and compass on the left wrist.

I like the Suunto SK7 compass. Most others have to be held level or they lock up. the Suunto will still work even if not level.

Wrist mount...suunto SK7 in the DSS boot...:wink:

Answers you get will depend on where people dive. If you dive low viz and use a compass a lot for serious navigation it will probably work out better on your wrist. If you mostly tropical dive in good viz you'll probably only use it occasionally for general guidance and might prefer it in a console - not all consoles with compasses are that bulky and it's one less thing to keep track of and put on. As far as 'hot setup is a "naked SPG"' that is simply an opinion and the preference of some people.

If you're getting an aeris analog console, does that mean you're getting a SPG and an analog depth guage? So, you'll use the depth guage as back up in case your computer fritzes? If that's the case, I believe the aeris compass fits on the back side of the console which does not add significantly to the size of the console.

Aeris also makes a boot for a SPG and compass only; that's what I use since I switched to a wrist cmputer. It's only a little smaller than the full console and there's no handy place to attach a snapbolt. I guess I would say either go for SPG alone, on a short hose (20-22") or put the compass on the console, if there's a spot for it on the back. You can always buy a wrist boot for the compass later on.

If you do a lot of shore diving then go with the compass. If you do boat diving with a DM leading the way, then I do not see it as being necessary. I do both and when doing shore dives I us my compass always or I would be swimming in circles. Since it looks like you are doing lake dives get a compass, where you place it is up to you. IMHO or 2 cents

Make a choice of either console mounted instruments or wrist mounted instruments. There have been lots of good threads discussing the relative merits of each method.

It sounds like you have decided to go the console route. In that case, adding the compass doesn't add much bulk if you pick a console where it mounts to the backside of the SPG.

I have my compass on my console computer (Cobra) and will be taking it off soon (maybe to celebrate my 100th dive?) and putting it in a DSS boot.

Enough said?

(And a lot of my diving is in low vis -- yes I do use the compass for rec diving which is all I do.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom