Lake Martin, AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I shot these pics this past weekend at Lake Martin in AL. I have never dove there. These pics were taken from under my dock. The vis was a quite better than normal. 10-12 ft. Can anyone tell me some cool dive spots at the lake if there are any?

I did one of my checkout dives there...hubby and I call it "Lake Mudhole." Can't say I liked swimming with my hand literally held out in front of my face. All the mud liked to have ruined my reg and gear from all of the silt and grit in everything, not to mention my wetsuit. May I suggest Panama City or Morrison Springs...that's fairly close to us. I'm in Auburn.

Great shots av8er, I was hiking up there a few months ago and the water looked to be pretty clear(well atleast 5' visibility). It really got me wanting to dive it. Tom Smedley and Rick Murchison dive it often and have great stories to tell about it.

I think I'm gonna hafta make it a point to dive it this summer. Something new, different, and muddy :)

It depends on where you are on the lake and how many boats are passing nearby. like I said I had 10-12 feet vis the other day. I have been in the ocean when it was that bad. there probably isnt that much to see on martin though. I hear there are some submeraged structures on the lake.

Bridge rubble and an old 'fleet' of fishing boats too. Seems as good, and more natural, than the local quarries.

I love to dive rivers and lakes - nothing wrong with having your hand stuck out in front of you , at least until you get to the bottom :wink: You can always find something interesting in a river.

I once found a deck of x-rated playing cards on the bottom of Wilson Lake?!? Not that I was looking at them , just happened to see 'em out of the corner of my eye ...

I wish I knew some good spots down there , I'd come dive with you

Shaun

Wilson Lake, like in Decatur/Tenn. River?
Randy

Randy,

SDI Florence used to run "wednesday night trips" (I think it was wednesday) out on Lake Wilson on the Tenn River. They went on a pontoon boat. good vis could be maybe 3-5 feet. ocassionally they might get a few extra feet

rdharbis1:
Wilson Lake, like in Decatur/Tenn. River?
Randy

Yeah the Tennessee River - Wilson is below Wheeler, which is the one in Decatur.

Pickwick - which is below Wilson, has a sunken town called Woodland. I hear the diving there is pretty neat. From what I hear there are only foundations left

Shaun

Fellow Lake Divers,
We have a database we are trying to fill with great freshwater dive sites in the US. Sounds like there are some pretty decent spots in the southeast. If you all go to www.lakdeiver.com and fill out an online form telling us about a local dive spot for us to add to our interactive map, we will put your name in our monthly drawing for a free Lake Diver T-Shirt. Just make sure to submit your name and email with it so we can contact you to get your address if you win the shirt, all at no cost to you. We are trying to build the biggest freshwter resource on the net. For every site you tell us about, you will get another entry into the drawing, Thanks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom