Spur of the moment Whiskey 5-9-6 Dive Report!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Mikey Paul and I were toying with the idea of trying a night dive tonight. Surf reports were saying knee high waves with occasional larger sets. They did mention the water being clear though - course, surfer's version of clarity is different than a divers.

We chanced the trip to Gulf Shores and walked out to the water to see that the surf report was correct. There was a constant south wind and the water was also very choppy. Suprisingly, the water didn't look incredibly kicked up and brown, but a good shade of blue. We decided, again, to chance conditions and jump in the water and figured we'd get very silty kicked up blue water. Gearing up in the surf was fun, the flimsy kite spool finally broke away and Mikey had to chase the flag down the beach. Once we went under, everything seemed fine and we had 5-10' of suprisingly clear visibility, with the exception of when a set rolled over top and shifted a ton of sand towards the beach every few minutes.

Found the southside(facing beach - wreck lays east-west) of the Whiskey Wreck without too much trouble and started following the hull west. Once we rounded the west end and started following it east, we noticed more relief. A hell of alot more relief. The sand on the northside of the wreck has been washed away quite a bit in the last two weeks. I was hitting 17' without sitting on the bottom and I'm sure you could find a hole or two at 18, 19, or even 20'. There was alot of relief, 10-12' on the on the northside, despite the southside looking fairly typical to the last few dives onsite. As we followed the inside of the southern most side of the hull(yes, both sides of the hull are now visibile to an extent!), we found ourselve swimming through the remains of what we guess were cargo holds. The Whiskey Wreck actually has some overhead areas to it now?!!!! The inside of the wreck is covered in ballast stones and there is lots of trash caught up in it including pvc piping, sheets, and rugs. Once we rounded the far eastside of the wreck, the hull juts over the sand high enough for you to view the rudder. This is the first time I've actually been able to really tell which side of the wreck was the front and back! I've never seen the Whiskey Wreck this uncovered since my certification ~3 years ago. What a suprise and what a great dive!

There is also a ton of fish on the wreck at the moment too. Lots of schooling spades, still some sheapshead, catfish, flounder, puffers, mangroves, stingrays, skates, octopii, crab, ect.

I maxed out at 17' and stayed under for 56 minutes. Did I mention I shot 12 flounder? :) Mikey shot 10 too!

21Flounder5_9_6.jpg

Flounderbox5_9_6.jpg

You mostly just have to cuss through your regulator at your buddy for taking the first fish and they seem to flock to you.

My biggest fish, bigger than any Mikey shot(HA!), was a 3lber.

3lbFlounder5_9_6.jpg

Polespear, actually, a hawaiin sling is a bit different(basically a handle with a band, and a freeshaft).

I have a speargun too, but its for deepwater :) 54" is a bit long to maneuver in such shallow water and visibility isn't really conducive to shooting something as powerfull.

I've used a hawiian sling (pole, band, spear tip) before and actually like it.

is a pole spear just a pole with spear tip and you don't "shoot" it but "gig" them?

Polespear is a pole with a band on the back and a tip up front. Band goes between your thumb and forefinger and you pull it up towards the tip for resistance to shoot the pole forward. Effective distance is usually about as long as the pole... if not less.

Hawiian sling is basically a pole with a tip and a handle with a latch(or you just hold it) and band that proppells the pole forward. The pole is untethered. Basically like a minimalist freeshaft.

Ok... I had the two of those kinda backwards.

I'd used the one with a pole, tip, and band that you put between your hands, pull back, aim and let go.... but it was aways called a hawaian sling or pole sling by the folks that taught me to use it.

Nice catch!
I guess the sand from the Whiskey floated over here to Crystal Beach :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom