Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandjeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is everyones favorite place to dive in the South and what are the conditions?

As for shore dives...

Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores, AL; the dive is different nearly everytime I go out there. It holds quite a bit of fish. Current conditions as of last night, 10-15' visibility and the beach was quite choppy with waist high(and better) surf which created a bit of surge on the wreck.

Destin Jetties in Destin, FL; Destin's close to deep water and it seems to provide clearer water into the channel. The dive here always carries a suprise or two in different marine life. This past weekend saw ~50' visibility.

Morrison Springs in Ponce De Leon, FL; Especially early in the morning before anyone else shows up when the water levels are low. Beautiful spring surrounded in a beautiful cypress run feeding to the Choctawhatchee River. River levels appear to be rising due to the rain we've been having. Its still diveable, but probably not at its peak as far as water clarity is concerned.

Cypress Springs in Vernon, FL; which has been closed off to public land access making the spring only accessible by boat. Limited accessibility makes for an increasingly good chance that you have the site to dive by yourself. The basin in very nice and very colorfull and there is alot of life to be found. The water is nearly always 'air' clear, as it was this past Sunday.

I don't get offshore enough... but...

The Wallace(Liberty Ship) south of Orange Beach, AL; its a nice artificial wreck and large(400'). The unique point on the Wallace compared to some of the other Liberty Ships is the fact that she's broken, which makes for a more natural looking wreck.

There's a Corsair(WWII airplane) also south of Orange Beach, AL; Its intact enough to positively identify its model. I've always been interested in aircraft. Very small divesite, obviously, but it held alot of fish, and makes for a good last dive of the day.

Most everything else I've dived offshore included tugs, barges, and bridge rubble off of different cities in AL and FL. Every dive town seems to have reefs of these variety. Fun, but nothing to make them stand out.

The Oriskany is going down south of Pensacola, FL; I can't imagine it not being one of my favorites once I get a chance to dive her. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom