Aladin Prime DC versus Suunto Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skyking2

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been offered a New Aladin Prime for approx USD 295 or a Mosquito for about USD 375. What are the pro n con for the 2 models please. I seem to read a lot of positive input with the Mosquito, but nothing so far on the Aladin Prime. Looked like the model before Aladin Pro was not too popular.
Thanks a lot

hi skyking2, i'd go with the Aladin Prime.. i've been using it almost a year & its an excellent comp relative to its price.. make sure you get the latest batch however, the first few batches had some batt leakage problem,.. i had 1 of those problematic ones, but the distributor here was aware of the problem & got it replaced for a brand new one for me.. despite this little inconvenience, i still give this divecomp a thumbs up for doing its job real well.
I cant comment much on the Mosquito cos i never used it, but i have 2 divebuddies who used the Mosquito; 1 of them switched over to the Prime, the other got the Aladin Tec.. both say they're very happy after switching to the Uwatecs..

I own a mosquito, but the shop I DM for has Primes on their rental gear, so I get to deal with both on a regular basis.

They both do good calculations and by the numbers, are good computers. But the prime is harder to program/change settings (if nothing else, it has two buttons instead of four. The mosquitos four buttons are set up mode/select/up/down in most cases, which is easy to deal with) And unless you remember the prime's "go around the circle" programming layout, glancing at the screen might not tell you exactly where you are.

But the prime is a good computer, and you can save almost $100 and be just as safe. The mosquito is smaller, and I for one find it much easier to deal with. But you will gain proficiency in either one after spending lots of time "sofa diving" and playing with all the features!

I have not used or seen the Aladdin, but will I will comment on the Mosquito -- you do not identify your age on your profile, so it may not be relevant to you, but the numbers of the face of the Mosquito are small, and even with bifocal lenses in my mask, the dive time in particular can be difficult to make out. I will, at some time in the near future, either replace or augment the Mosquito with something easier to read.

Back
Top Bottom