Replacing hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augy

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Mares Axis Pro octo and MR12 reg set. The high-pressure hose developed a leak at the fitting and I need to replace it. I think it failed because it was a little too short at 32" and a 36" would be better.

Where can I buy a quality hose online? I think it's 7/16" which I believe is the standard, correct?

Also, on the console end, how do I remove the PSI guage to get to the connector? I think the rubber console fixture can be "peeled" back to push the PSI guage out and gain access to the fitting but I'm not sure and I don't want to do more harm than good.

While I'm at it, I am going to replace the 2nd stage hose that supplies my main reg. It has developed a pretty major "kink" just past the hose protector (lot of good that did) and it seems like a reasonable idea to replace it before it fails.

Thanks for any help.

Source? LDS or Dive-Rite Express for openers.

You have the right ideal about peeling the boot. Have it at warm room temp and some soapy water may help. Be sure things are dry when you have open connections.

Pete

TDL makes great custom hoses. It may not be the hose, though. It may be the spool needs the o rings replaced.

Dive-aholic:
TDL makes great custom hoses. It may not be the hose, though. It may be the spool needs the o rings replaced.

The leak is at the 1st stage connection. I guess I'm not certain but I don't think there is a spool on that end. I've never taken the hose & spg apart so I guess I don't really know exactly what I'm looking at though.

I'd suggest you first try changing the o-ring and see if that fixes it. If not, just get a new hose from Dive Rite Express. You can also get any size o-ring you need from them. I stocked up on the various sizes I might need for my save-a-dive kit from them. Great folks to deal with. One of the best online Scuba vendors IMO. I have always been absolutely pleased with their quality and service. Top notch.

Augy:
The leak is at the 1st stage connection. I guess I'm not certain but I don't think there is a spool on that end. I've never taken the hose & spg apart so I guess I don't really know exactly what I'm looking at though.

No spool there, but always check the o rings first. If the leak is coming from between the hose and the 1st stage, it's probably not the hose.

what type of console do you have? Mares as well?

The console is IST. I tried replacing the o-ring but that didn't fix it. I had several experienced divers trying to fix it and they all concluded that the hose was failing within the connector.

I think I'll just order the hose and some extra o-rings and cover all the bases as I'm heading to Mexico in a couple of weeks for some diving.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom