Diving Cordova, AK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just had an interview with a school in Cordova, AK. I'm wondering if anyone has dove there. I haven't been able to find any info on diving there through searches on the internet. Guessing I'd ahve to take the Ferry to get tanks filled.

Hey P,

I don't think there's a shop in Cordova, but ask the folks at the school if anyone local can do a fill. The only lead I found on the net is:

John Williams
Prince William Sound Scuba
Fish Ecologist/Research Diver
PO Box 585
Cordova, AK 99574
907-424-5596
pwsscuba@ctcak.net

You'll want to take up sea kayaking too, PWS is stunning.

There's probably a local fire department. Even if they don't have a dive team, they may still fill tanks for you if you have your own adapter and tanks. Is there a marine biology department at the UofA campus down there? If so, there may be a diver on the faculty that can give you info. Any of the water taxi services can probably take you out diving, though you'll need someone local who knows where the dive sites are...

If you ever get to Anchorage (or Seward), drop me line.... There's plenty of dive opportunities if you dare to dive with the Bear :D

Find the Sheriff and ask if there is a county search & rescue that needs volunteer divers. In a town that small (~2,500) they are likely to be a little rag-tag & might be greatful for any help they can get. In my small Idaho home town I had a deal with the Sheriff. He could call me when they needed help (volunteer time/equipment), and I could get free fills at the firehouse. It was a nice arrangement for everybody.

-Ben M.

ps - Cordova has 20% more guys than gals, so you might need a nice sized stick to keep them at bay. :1poke:

Alaska doesn't have counties, it has boroughs and census areas (unorganized boroughs). The Valdez-Cordova census area has about 10,000 people spead over about 40,000 square miles (that's about the size of Kentucky). Things are different up there....

airsix:
ps - Cordova has 20% more guys than gals, so you might need a nice sized stick to keep them at bay. :1poke:

Hehehe..... I spent some time in Coos Bay, OR last spring... I expect it is like it was there. My buddy and I walked into a bar one night and I was the only female there. my buddy poked me and said "the odds are good but the goods are odd" HOW TRUE. I'm expecting AK to be the same way.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know if I get the job.... Snowbear I will definatly be up to dive with you if I end up in AK. The rest of y'all have a place to stay if you want to come up that way. Have a feeling I might have to beg for dive buddies.

Can you post or PM me what school you interviewed at? I have a good friend who just got a high school teaching job there and is moving this week with her husband. Just curious...

Brian

not only are the odds the same, even the joke about the odds is the same. That's a classic line in AK. Good luck!

beezwax:
not only are the odds the same, even the joke about the odds is the same. That's a classic line in AK. Good luck!

Well, in a bizarre string of coincidences, I am pretty sure I didn't get the job, because it sounds like Brian's friend is accepting the position I was interviewing for.... talk about a small freaking world!

Just means I'll be staying in Ohio.... and as I say the best thing about living in cincinnati is that it is a delta hub.... so just means the busy traveling will start up again.

Caleb- looks like we might get to plan that GLWC M&G to coincide with the big dive weekend up near you afterall :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom