Bug Hunting Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
I read a recent thread on hunting for crabs - my question is whether hunting for lobsters is similar.

Open season starts here on Sunday, and I've never tried it. I was planning on doing a sunset and night dive that night to look for some (but instead think I'm going to dive a wreck in the afternoon) - but I was wondering what the best technique was.

From the crabbing thread, I picked up that there is the "herd 'em into the bag" technique, the "snatch and grab" technique, and the "buy 'em at the supermarket" technique. :wink:

Equipment considerations - I've got gloves, the bag, the light, and will pick up the measuring device - what about the "tickler stick"? Necessary? Are the tickler sticks with the loops on the end (to lasso them, I guess) better?

Any other considerations I need to make?

things like a tickler stick or lasso. In California at least you're not allowed to use anything but a gloved hand to catch bugs.

well I'm not sure what kind of lobster are in the waters around there but I think their the same as we have in floida, Spiny. very simple just look for any were that they can get cover, ledges, docks(have found a lot of them under these), bridges, coral heads, any cover at all. The easieest way to spot them is by their antinas(if spiny). A tickle stick and a hoop net will work but I find a snare the best choice(the stick you spoke of with the loop on one end). For some reason they will let you slide the loop over their back and under their tail with out much fuss. Then you pull the end of the snare and close the loop. You will need some kind of lobster bag to haul all of them around with you. I would look for one that is made for this use. one quick suggestion, when you find them they will probably be more than one in a spot. pull them out of the hole as quick as you can so that the bottum dosen't get all stirred up an viz stays ok. this way you can get all or most out of a hole. good luck RRdave

I just got the coolest thing from www.inspectionlites.com. It is a lighted tickle stick.

It works an a nine volt battery. It has a little red light in the end of it. It was just perfect! At first I got ribbed on the boat about it. You know "mr gadget" stuff. But after the first dive, I was the envy of the boat. The red light was very soft on the eyes and I was able to put the stick in a hole and see exactly where to manuever it to push the bug out.

I was also able to pull out banded coral shrimp and peppermint shrimp. I suppose that the red light didnt bother them.

Another cool thing was this. Did you every shine your dive light at night on your gauges and practically got blinded? Well I move the end of the tickle stick over the gauges and it was nice and soft on the eyes.

Then at the end of the (drift) dive, I shined the light on top of my buddy's head. The captian had no problem seeing without losing his night vision.

I had a lot of fun with it.

http://www.inspectionlites.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=2A

I see your in HI. I was there for about 3 years and we went bugging on a regular basis.

There are 2 type your going to find...the slippa (slipper) and the spiney.

For the slippers, you'll find them on the bottom, as opposed to the spineys that are usually in the pukas and rocks...you'll see them by scanning the floor with your light..their eyes will shine red (so do all the shrimps, but after a few you figure it out). They are way easy to catch...just grab em from behind (they'll back up way fast so if you go head first you'll miss).

The spineys are a little tricker..wasn't much good at it myself, but was great at spotting them to the better buggers (who were always nice enough to share!). THey are usuall in pukas so you'll wanta make sure there aren't any eels in there, but you have to be really fast...if you're there checking them out for a bit they'll be gone. They can really cling to those rocks!

Also, you can't use anything to catch them (like tickle sticks). Just your glove. Make sure to follow the size and season as we have been know to been searched before!

>>>Where ya'll divin' at anyhow??? Most of the regular spots are pretty bare, but know of some out of the way spots that we usually did okay.

Gonna be a big change for us in the bug dept. Where we are now we can't take ANY on SCUBA, only freedive...but we can spear them..go figure!!!
:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom